Afghan Taliban declares three-day ceasefire for Eid celebration this week

Two days after bombings outside a school in the western part of the Afghan capital, killing at least 68


Reuters May 10, 2021
Mohammad Naeem, spokesperson for the Taliban's political office, speaks during a joint news conference in Moscow, Russia March 19, 2021. PHOTO: REUTERS

KABUL:

Taliban insurgents said on Monday they would observe a three-day ceasefire in Afghanistan for the Muslim religious holiday of Eid, starting this week, after weeks of increasing violence that gripped the country.

"In order that the Mujahideen again provide a peaceful and secure atmosphere to our compatriots during Eid-ul-Fitr so that they may celebrate this joyous occasion, all Mujahideen ... are instructed to halt all offensive operations," Mohammad Naeem, a Taliban spokesperson, said on Twitter.

Read: Taliban leader urges unity for redevelopment of Afghanistan in wake of US forces' withdrawal

Eid will begin on Wednesday or Thursday this week depending on the sighting of the moon.

The ceasefire declaration came two days after bombings outside a school in the western part of the Afghan capital, Kabul, killed at least 68, most of them students, and injured more than 165 others.

No group claimed responsibility for the attack.

Taliban insurgents, fighting to overthrow the Afghan government since their ouster by U.S.-led forces in late 2001, denied involvement in the bombings and condemned them.

Afghan government leadership said the group was behind the attack.

Naeem said the group's fighters had been instructed to cease all military operations against the Afghan government, but added they were ready to retaliate if attacked by government forces.

Fraidoon Khwazoon, a spokesperson for Abdullah Abdullah, chairman of Afghanistan’s High Council for National Reconciliation, which heads the peace process, said the group welcomed the Taliban's ceasefire announcement.

Read more: At least 68 killed in Afghan school blast, families bury victims

President Ashraf Ghani's spokespersons were not immediately available to comment on whether they would observe the ceasefire.

Peace talks between both warring sides in the Qatari capital, Doha, which began last year, have made no progress and violence has risen.

Kabul has been on high alert since Washington announced plans last month to pull out all U.S. troops by Sept. 11, with Afghan officials saying the Taliban stepped up attacks across the country following the announcement.

E-Publications

Most Read

RELATED

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ