TLP to call off protest in twin cities after successful talks with govt

Tehreek-e-Labaik Pakistan’s chief Khadim Rizvi expected to announce end of sit-in soon

Our Correspondent November 16, 2020


The Tehreek-e-Labaik Pakistan (TLP) has agreed to end its sit-in in the twin cities of Islamabad and Rawalpindi Monday night after successful negotiations with the federal government, Ministry for Religious Affairs spokesperson confirmed.

The spokesperson said on the directions of Prime Minister Imran Khan Religious Affairs Minister Noorul Haq Qadri held talks with TLP leadership and convinced them to end their protest.

TLP chief Khadim Hussain Rizvi is also expected to make the official announcement in this regard, the spokesperson added.

Following the breakthrough, mobile and internet services which remained shut in adjoining areas for over 31 hours, started to restore gradually

The situation had remained tense in the twin cities as activists from the TLP continued their sit-in on the Faizabad interchange for a second day.

The TLP held a protest rally from Liaquatabad to Faizabad to denounce the republication of blasphemous caricatures in France.

A large number of party workers clashed with the police as they were stopped from entering Islamabad. The police had to use tear gas to disperse the demonstrators and prevent them from advancing into the federal capital. The TLP workers pelted the police with stones in return, resulting in injuries on both sides.

The residents of the twin cities were forced to use alternate routes as barricades on major causeways caused disruption in traffic. Public buses were also forced off the roads.

According to reports, all schools and shops around Faizabad were closed due to the situation. On November 15, over 101 workers and TLP officials had been detained as the Rawalpindi police continued its crackdown.


Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ