Keep the morale up, CM Murad asks Sindh police

CM assures IGP, other officials his govt will stand by them at every stage

Our Correspondent October 21, 2020
Sindh CM Syed Murad Ali Shah meets with senior police officers, led by Inspector General of Police Mushtaq Mahar at CM House. PHOTO: CM House


Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah on Wednesday assured the top brass of the provincial police that his government stood by them and would not let the force become demoralised, a day after the IGP and other top officials decided to go on a “protest” leave for being forced to order the arrest of PML-N leader Capt (retd) Safdar and then deferred their decision after the army chief ordered an inquiry into the matter.

During a meeting with Sindh police chief Mushtaq Mahar, additional IGs and DIGs, Murad urged them to continue performing their duties with same spirit as before and leave the rest to him.

The chief minister regretted that some recent happenings had created unrest and resentment in the police ranks.

“But you don’t need to worry, As the head of the provincial government, I am with you and would never let you become demoralised at any stage,” he added.

“I adopted the policy of non-interference in police matters and would never allow it to be violated.”

The chief minister urged the police chief and other senior officers to inculcate and rejuvenate the same spirit and morale in the lower ranks of the police so that they could continue their services with same dedication.

The chief minister lauded the Sindh police's efforts in restoring peace in the province, especially Karachi.

The chief minister acknowledged the sacrifices made by the police, in addition to their services and professionalism, to maintain law and order in Sindh.

He praised the provincial police thwarting attacks on the Karachi Stock Exchange and the Chinese Consulate and nabbing several terrorists.

“The Sindh police should continue working in an independent and impartial manner, and the government is taking steps to further strengthen them.”

Police officials thanked CM Murad for exhibiting the government’s support at every stage, and vowed to continue to protect the lives and property of the people.

CM Murad also took serious notice of the blast at Karachi’s Maskan Chowrangi and directed the IGP and Karachi commissioner to submit a detailed report to him.

He also instructed them to set up their efforts to rescue the people trapped under the rubble of the building that collapsed because of the explosion.

He directed them to make the necessary arrangements for the treatment of the injured and support the bereaved families who had lost their loved ones.

Hours after the provincial police high-ups decided to go on protest leave on Tuesday, IGP Mahar deferred the decision and ordered his officers to set aside their leave applications for 10 days, pending the conclusion of the inquiry into the matter.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, the Sindh police thanked army chief Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa for “realising the sense of hurt that prevailed within a uniformed force, and for promptly ordering an inquiry into the matter, which he has also assured will be impartial in order to restore the prestige of the Sindh police”.

The Sindh police also thanked PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari and CM Murad for showing solidarity with the police force.

Addressing a news conference on Tuesday, Bilawal said that he wanted to know the identities of the people who had surrounded IGP Mahar’s house at 4am, shortly before the arrest of Safdar.

According to the Sindh police statement, “This [going on leave] was a spontaneous and heartfelt reaction and made on an individual rather than a collective basis, because every single member of the department felt an acute sense of disrespect.”

An FIR was registered against Safdar for chanting slogans of “vote ko izzat do” (respect the vote) and “Māder-e Millat Zindabad” (long live Mother of the Nation) at Quaid-e-Azam’s mausoleum, and for allegedly threatening to kill someone.

The arrest came in response to a case filed by a relative of a local Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) leader against Safdar. However, he was released on bail from court. Safdar had come to Karachi from Lahore on Sunday along with a PML-N delegation, including Vice President Maryam Nawaz and other party leaders, to attend the Pakistan Democratic Movement rally on Bilawal’s invitation.


Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ


Most Read