Pakistan Stock Exchange attack FIR registered

Initial probe reveals car used in the incident was transferred in a terrorist’s name just a day before the attack

Our Correspondent June 30, 2020
Police officers survey a damaged car at the site of an attack at the Pakistan Stock Exchange (PSX) entrance in Karachi. PHOTO: REUTERS/FILE


An FIR of the attack on the Pakistan Stock Exchange (PSX) on Monday was registered at Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) Civil Lines Police Station in Karachi on Tuesday.

The FIR has been registered on behalf of Mithadar Police Station SHO Inspector Rizwan Patel under the Anti-Terrorism Act, 1997, Explosives Act and Sindh Arms Act.

Inspector Chaudhry Arif Hussain of the CTD has been assigned the investigation of the case.

Following the registration of the FIR, the CTD submitted a report on the attack and a copy of the FIR to an anti-terrorism court.

According to the report, four terrorists attacked the PSX building on June 29, 2020 at 10.20am but the attack was thwarted by Rangers and police officials. All terrorists involved in the attack were killed, the report states, adding that an investigation has been launched into the matter.

The investigation will primarily be focused on identifying the perpetrators of the attack and when and where the attack was planned.

Four gunmen, reportedly including members of Indian intelligence agency Research and Intelligence Wing (RAW) and Afghan intelligence agency National Directorate of Security, attacked the PSX building on Karachi’s II Chundrigar Raod on Monday, martyring three guards and a policeman before security forces killed all four of the attackers.

Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) claimed responsibility in a post on Twitter.

Karachi police chief Ghulam Nabi Memon said the gunmen attacked with grenades and guns after pulling up in a silver Corolla car.

They threw a grenade at security men posted outside the compound then opened fire on a security post. The four were killed when security forces posted there responded.

Their car was abandoned where they left it.

Three guards, identified as Wahid, Khudayar and Muhammad Hassan, and a policeman, Sub-Inspector Muhammad Shahid, were martyred and seven people were wounded in the incident.

Headway in investigation

According to CTD AIG Dr Jameel Ahmed, initial investigation indicates that the attackers had a long-term plan as besides rifles, Kalashnikovs, bullets and other weapons, they were carrying water bottles, petrol and edibles.

Confirming the earlier reports that the vehicle used during the incident was bought by one of the terrorists, Salman, from the port city's Karsaz neighbourhood on June 25, 2020, the AIG said that the car was transferred in his name just a day before the attack.

He added that the CTD was carrying out a thorough probe of the matter and media would be updated on the progress of investigation time to time.

Meanwhile, it is being speculated that the terrorists arrived in Karachi few days before the incident as a toll receipt dated June 27, 2020, issued for travel on Lyari Expressway, was found from their car. Possibilities of them having made accommodation arrangements near the Merewether Clock Tower and carrying out that attack with the support of local residents are also being considered.

Authorities have also hinted at Indian involvement in the attack and reportedly, the noose around RAW’s sleeper cells and facilitators is being tightened after the attack.


Facebook Conversations


Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ