Drawdown of US troops from Afghanistan continuing: Pentagon

We expect to meet that within the timeline laid out under the agreement, says spokesperson


Reuters May 15, 2020
We expect to meet that within the timeline laid out under the agreement, says spokesperson. PHOTO: AFP/FILE

WASHINGTON: The United States is continuing its drawdown of troops from Afghanistan and is expected to meet a timeline that had been agreed upon with the Taliban earlier this year, the Pentagon said on Friday.

“That is still going forward. We expect to meet that within the timeline laid out under the agreement with the Taliban,” Pentagon spokesperson Jonathan Hoffman said during a press briefing.

Hoffman’s comments came after two brutal attacks in Afghanistan this week, though they are believed to have been carried out by the Islamic State.

E-Publications

Most Read

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ