FO rejects Indian counsel's claims in Jadhav case

Spokesperson says Pakistan fully complying with ICJ judgment


Khalid Mehmood May 10, 2020
Kulbhushan Jadhav.

ISLAMABAD: The Foreign Office on Sunday rejected “baseless and inaccurate” allegations by India's legal counsel in the Kulbushan Jadhav case that Pakistan had not complied with the judgment of the International Court of Justice (ICJ).

“We have noted the statements made in an online lecture on May 3 2020 by Mr Harish Salve, India’s legal counsel in the Kulbushan Jadhav case,” FO spokesperson Aisha Farooqui said in a statement.

“While suggesting that India may have to go back to the ICJ, Mr. Salve has made certain statements which are contrary to the facts of the case,” she added.

“We firmly reject the Indian counsel’s baseless and inaccurate assertion that Pakistan has not complied with the ICJ’s judgment in the case.”

Farooqui maintained that Pakistan had fully complied with the judgment and remained committed to continue doing so as the case proceeded further.

She noted that Pakistan had granted India consular access to Jadhav and was processing measures for an effective review and reconsideration as per the guidelines provided by the ICJ in its judgment.

“Being a responsible state, Pakistan abides by all its international obligations. It is regrettable that Mr Salve has chosen to make statements which are inaccurate and misrepresent facts.”

Salve, while delivering an online lecture on May 3, alleged that Pakistan had refused to respond to Indian queries about carrying out the ICJ judgment and reviewing the case.

"We have written four to five letters to Pakistan [...] but they just keep on denying. I think we have reached a point where we have to now decide whether we want to go back to ICJ for consequential directions because Pakistan has not moved ahead," he was quoted as saying in an Indian publication.

He also alleged that Islamabad had granted consular access to Jadhav "too late" and refused to share details of the case with New Delhi.

In November last year, Islamabad had said there would be no ‘deal’ with New Delhi on Indian naval officer-turned RAW agent Jadhav, who was given the death penalty by a military court on charges of espionage and terrorism.

“There is no question of any deal regarding Commander Kulbhushan Jadhav,” was the emphatic response of the then Foreign Office spokesperson Dr Muhammad Faisal on a question as to whether Pakistan would release the RAW agent as a goodwill gesture as it did in the case of captured Indian pilot in February 2019.

Jadhav was arrested on March 3, 2016, from Balochistan. In his subsequent trial at a military court, Jadhav had confessed to his involvement in hatching terror plots against Pakistan.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read