Brazil building collapse death toll reaches nine: official

Building collapses in Brazil tend to happen in poorer neighborhoods

Representational Image. PHOTO: REUTERS

RIO DE JANEIRO:
The death toll from an apartment building collapse in northeast Brazil reached nine on Saturday, an official said, after the body of the last missing person was found in the rubble.

Seven people were pulled alive from the debris of the seven-story residential building in an upscale neighborhood of Fortaleza city in Ceara state after it crumbled Tuesday.

Officials are still investigating the cause of the disaster, a spokeswoman for the Ceara public security department told AFP, confirming nine people had died.


Brazil rejects G7 aid to fight Amazon fires

The tower had been built illegally, G1 news site reported earlier in the week, citing the city council.

Building collapses in Brazil tend to happen in poorer neighborhoods, known as favelas, where illegal construction is rampant. In April, 24 people were killed when two buildings in a favela in Rio de Janeiro collapsed after several days of heavy rain.

 
Load Next Story