Newly-wed bride dies after consuming 'lizard-infested milk' in Islamabad

Police say Saima succumbs to poison while husband's condition is critical


Our Correspondent July 08, 2019
Police say Saima succumbs to poison while husband's condition is critical. PHOTO: FILE

ISLAMABAD: A newly-married bride lost her life while the groom is in critical condition after they consumed lizard-infected milk in the Jhangi Syedan area, according to Islamabad police on Monday.

The couple's neighbours informed the police of the incident who reached the scene and found a dead lizard inside the milk container which was consumed by the couple. They had tied the knot only a month ago.

The deceased has been identified as Saima while the other victim, Saddam Hussain, is fighting for his life in hospital.

Meanwhile, families of the victims have refused to carry out an autopsy of the deceased, after which it was handed over to them.

70% of loose milk in Punjab poisonous for consumption

On April 5, it was found that as much as 70 per cent of loose milk sold in urban Punjab contains traces of harmful chemicals and bacteria.

Of the 601 samples of loose milk collected from Lahore, Multan, Faisalabad, Bahawalpur, Gujranwala and Rawalpindi, 422 were deemed unfit for consumption upon testing and found to contain traces of harmful chemical compounds like formaldehyde, ammonium sulphate, hydrogen peroxide, urea and others found in detergents.

Our Publications

Most Read

COMMENTS (1)

Bunny Rabbit | 1 year ago | Reply Why do I feel that there is more to this than that meets the eye.
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ