NA committee approves resolution against attack on check post

The document says that a full-fledged operation will be launched against the extremists

MNAs Mohsin Dawar and Ali Wazir. PHOTO: FILE

ISLAMABAD:
National Assembly Standing Committee for Defence has approved a resolution against the attack carried out by extremists at Kharqamar check post. The committee warned that a few elements will not be allowed to disrupt peace and extremists will be eradicated with full force.

The standing committee session was held at the parliament house with Amjad Ali Khan in chair. Secretary Defence Lt Gen (Retd) Ikramul Haq in his briefing said that Pak Army check post near Doga village was attacked twice last month after which two suspects were arrested on May 25. On May 26, Pushtun Tahafuz Movement (PTM) staged a sit-in.

After deliberations with the protest leaders and subsequent assurance for the release of one of the suspects, it was decided that the sit-in would come to an end but Ali Wazir and Mohsin Dawar called the protest leaders and asked them to continue with the demonstration.
Both the MNAs reached the scene and engaged in a brawl with the security forces.

The two PTM leaders led an attack on the check post including hurling of stones and firing due to which five soldiers of Pak Army got injured. The army still showed restraint but later the mob attacked the check post after which the response had become mandatory.


The defence secretary maintained that no one will be allowed to challenge the writ of the state and added that not only the army, but also the locals have rendered sacrifices for the restoration of peace in the tribal areas.

The committee chairman condemned the attack and termed it unacceptable. He said that the whole nation stands by the forces and no one will be allowed to disrupt peace of the tribal region. He announced soon to pay a visit to erstwhile Fata and meet the locals there.

The committee unanimously passed a resolution against the attack on the check post. The resolution said that a full-fledged operation will be launched against the extremists.

Earlier, members of the committee expressed anger over the absence of finance secretary from the meeting and non-provision of facilities for the residents of cantonment areas.

The committee decided to write a letter against the finance secretary. It directed the Federal Board of Revenue to present details pertaining to collection of GST on services and the collection from provinces.

Recommended Stories

Load Next Story

googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display('div-gpt-mrec-3'); });

googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display('div-gpt-mrec-4'); });