Balochistan seeks Rs10b from federal govt for flood victims

Minister says provincial govt has approached NDMA for food items

Mohammad Zafar April 21, 2019
Training on disaster preparedness was held from October 23 to 25, 2018 at the Officer’s Club, Quetta. PHOTO: AFP

QUETTA: Balochistan has sought Rs10 billion from the federal government for the rehabilitation of people affected by the recent torrential rains and flash floods, a provincial minister said on Saturday.

“The provincial government has also approached the National Disaster Management Authority for food items for the victims,” Balochistan Home Minister Meer Zia Langove told reporters while visiting the flood-hit Naseerabad division.

“The Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) has enough quantity of other items,” he added.

Langove was accompanied by Labour Minister Sardar Sarfaraz Domki and adviser Muhammad Khan Lehri.

The minister said no deaths were reported in Naseerabad division but four people died in Lasbela.

Flash floods: 28,000 people rescued in Balochistan relief operation


Langove, who also holds the PDMA portfolio, said a survey of the flood-hit Sibi and Naseerabad division was being prepared and it would be submitted to the chief minister.

Naseerabad Commissioner Javed Akhtar and Deputy Commissioner Zafar Baloch briefed the ministers about the relief measures under way in the area.

They said the district administration had taken steps to provide quick relief to the affected people. Everyone stranded in Naseerabad division had been rescued.

Langove said the rains and flash floods had damaged agricultural land and the government would compensate the people who had lost their farms and homes.

Facebook Conversations

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

Load Next Story