RAWALPINDI/ ISLAMABAD: The Rawalpindi police have registered a case of murder against a man who had allegedly killed his two sisters in Dhoke Ratta of Rawalpindi the other day.
According to the Ratta Amral police, 70-year-old Zubaida Begum had told the police that on Tuesday that she had gone to the hospital with her two daughters, 25-year-old Shamsunnissa and 23-year-old Mehrunnissa, to purchase medicines.
When she returned, she found her 20-year-old-son Rashid Mehmood waiting in anger. Zubaida said that Mehmood started speaking ill of them.
Before they could react, he took out a pistol and in a fit of rage started firing at them.
Mehrunnissa was fatally shot and died on the spot whereas Shamsunnissa suffered a critical injury.
Meanwhile, Mehmood ran up to the roof of the house where he turned his gun on himself and pulled the trigger, shooting himself in the head.
The injured were rushed to the hospital but they succumbed to their wounds.
The police registered a case of murder and attempted murder against Mehmood. They recovered the murder weapon — a 30 bore pistol, from the location and 10 other pieces of evidence with assistance from the Punjab Forensic laboratory.After their autopsy was complete, the bodies were handed over to their family for burial. Their funerals were later offered in their native graveyard. The police said that they were investigating the case from different angles.
The Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Wednesday issued summons to the Islamabad SSP Naeem over the alleged abduction of a two-year-old by his grandfather.
The summon was issued by Justice Amir Farooq of the IHC as he heard an application filed by the boy’s mother, Aasma Rafiq.
Rafiq’s counsel told the court that her father-in-law, Fayaz, had mysteriously disappeared with her two-year-old son, Abdullah, after her husband’s death. He demanded that the court recover the boy.
Justice Farooq asked SSP Naeem about whereabouts of Fayaz. At this, the police officer said that the police was still searching for him.
At this, Justice Farooq said that the SSP, being a senior officer, should personally work on this case and not leave it on just God’s will.
The court went on to ask whether the fugitive’s phone numbers had been traced. At this, the SSP said that his number was switched off which made tracing difficult.
The court directed the SSP to obtain data regarding the suspect from the records of the National Database and Regulatory Authority (NADRA) to find out how many mobile subscriber identity modules (SIMs) were registered on his computerised national identity card (CNIC).
At this, the SSP said they had found eight SIMs which were registered to the suspect’s CNIC. Justice Farooq remarked that the police usually blame agencies if someone goes missing, but in this case, it should fulfil its responsibilities by tracing the suspect.
The SSP assured the court that they will trace the whereabouts of the suspect by next week after which the case was adjourned until April 17.
Published in The Express Tribune, April 11th, 2019.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ