Police want court to close two cases

Published: December 23, 2018
Email
Petitioners submitted fake addresses in the FIR, say police.

PHOTO: FILE

Petitioners submitted fake addresses in the FIR, say police. PHOTO: FILE

KARACHI: A special anti-terrorism court (ATC -10) on Saturday expressed its displeasure over the A-class report submitted by the police in two cases of hate speech against the leaders of Muttahida Qaumi Movement-Pakistan (MQM-P).

The police in its report, submitted by Sohrab Goth police station investigation officer, said that the cases were registered on behalf of Gul Khan and Hashim Khan. The petitioners were not available at the residential addresses mentioned in the FIR and challans. During the investigation it was revealed that the complainants had given fake residential addresses. Police maintained that the two cases were found to be baseless and requested the court to close both the cases after accepting the A class report.

Rauf Siddiqi, Farooq Sattar and other MQM-P leaders were nominated in the case.

The judge, Muhammad Khan, expressing annoyance over the report, ordered the police to carry on further investigations, make efforts to trace the petitioners and submit reports on the next hearing on February 2.

May 12 riots

Another court (ATC-2) on Saturday adjourned the hearing of the eight reopened cases pertaining to May 12 incidents as the jail officials did not present the accused in their custody. According to a report submitted by the jail officials, they were not informed about Saturday’s hearing. Court directed them to present the accused on next hearing and adjourned proceedings till January 4.

Accused Mirza Naseeb Baig alias Rizwan Chapati, Raees Mama and Umair Siddiqi were supposed to be presented before the court. After being reopened, eight out of the 65 A-class cases pertaining to May 12 were transferred to the ATC-2. Karachi Mayor Wasim Akhtar and others have been indicted in these cases.

One case is registered at the Bahadurabad police station, two at Ferozabad police station and six at Airport police station.

Against accused, Mirza Naseeb Baig, three new cases were registered, including cases pertaining to weapons act and explosive material at Nabi Bakhsh police station and Civil Lines police station. The Sindh High Court had ordered the reopening of 65 A-class cases relating to May 12 riots.

MQM man released

The ATC-12 ordered the release of two activists of MQM-P who were being tried in cases of illegal possession of weapons and explosive materials.

The court released Muhammad Nadeem alias Chikna and Waqar Ahmed as police failed to present sufficient evidence. The lawyer for the accused argued that a baseless case had been filed against his clients. He maintained that the accusations against them could not be proved so they should be released. Cases against both the accused were registered at Mominabad police station.

Sindh Police starts new training regimen

Sentence awarded

Another court (ATC-10) awarded 20 years imprisonment to accused, Jawad, in a case pertaining to robbery and police encounter. According to police, the accused was escaping with his accomplices after snatching mobile phones and cash. One of his accomplices, Hafeezuddin, was killed during the police encounter that followed.

Petitioner, Kamran, said he heard firing near Jheel Park and saw the injured accused on the ground. The accused succumbed to his injuries and the items recovered from him included stolen goods. Prosecutor Ghulam Abbas said that the police arrested the accused red-handed. Statements from six witnesses were recorded. Case against the accused was registered in 2015 at the Ferozabad police station. 

Published in The Express Tribune, December 23rd, 2018.

Facebook Conversations

More in Sindh