KARACHI: The hearing of Lyari-based gang leader Uzair Baloch's case remains elusive even after one and a half years. A special anti-terrorism court (ATC) on Monday directed the authorities to present a detailed report on the custody of Uzair in the killings of locals and police officers in the Lyari gang-war case. The case was heard in a special ATC in Karachi Central Jail. The families of the police officers and locals are compelled to come repeatedly to the courts.
Even after one and a half years have passed, the whereabouts of Uzair are shrouded in mystery. The court once again directed the jail superintendent to submit details regarding Uzair. On Monday, the court was hearing 14 cases of murder and attempt to murder. The jail authorities said that on April 11, 2017, Uzair was handed over to the military.
The court remarked that the case is facing delay because of the absence of Uzair since 2012. Jail authorities said that the accused hasn't been handed over to jail authorities yet.
Directing the jail superintendent to come up with a detailed report on the next hearing, the court adjourned the hearing for an indefinite period. Cases against the Lyari gang leader are registered at Kharadar, Chakiwara, Lyari and at other police stations.
Bomb blast case
An anti-terrorism court (ATC) once again issued a non-bailable arrest warrant for Ali Rehman alias Tony, who is one of the accused in the Islamic Research Centre bomb blast case. The hearing conducted in a special ATC in Karachi's Central Jail. Another accused, Saad Aziz, who had already been given death penalty in the Safoora carnage case, was presented before the court.
Adjourning the hearing, the court directed the police to arrest the accused and present him before the court. According to the police, the fugitive is the main accused in the Islamic Research Centre bomb blast case. The accused is a resident of Taiser Town Crystal College Scheme 33. The accused is also a fugitive in the Safoora carnage case. A bomb blast occurred in the Islamic Research Centre in October 2014. In the blast, a one-year old child, Batool, was killed and eight others, including women, were injured.
Arson, attack case
A special anti-terrorism court (ATC) has issued notice to the plaintiff for October 30 on the bail plea of four suspects involved in two cases registered for murder, attack on media houses, raising anti-Pakistan slogans, siege and arson.
The suspects, affiliated with Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM), include Ashraf Noor, Syed Arshad Ali, Hasan Alam and Muhammad Jahangir. The court had earlier annulled the bails of the suspects over non-compliance of the court orders. The suspects could not be indicted on the last hearing due to their absence. Farooq Sattar, Amir Khan, Kanwar Naveed Jameel, Qamar Mansoor, Shahid Pasha and several others are also nominated in the case.
Published in The Express Tribune, October 30th, 2018.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ