
General Scott Miller, the top US commander in Afghanistan who had been at the meeting with Raziq only moments earlier, was uninjured in the attack, but the local commander of the NDS intelligence service and the Kandahar provincial governor Zalmay Wesa were also killed.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack, saying they had targeted both Miller and Raziq, who had a fearsome reputation as a ruthless opponent of the insurgents.
Meanwhile, the Pentagon said the incident will not change US resolve in its South Asia strategy.
"This attack will not change US resolve in our South Asia strategy, if anything it makes us more resolute," Pentagon spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Kone Faulkner told Reuters.
The attack was a devastating blow to the Afghan government ahead of parliamentary elections on Saturday, which the Taliban have vowed to disrupt.
"The brutal police chief of Kandahar has been killed along several other officials," Taliban spokesperson Qari Yousaf Ahmadi said in a statement emailed to the media.
According to Ahmadi, the main targets of the attack – part of ‘Al Khandaq’ offensive – were Gen Miller, Gen Raziq. He claimed that Gen Raziq, local intelligence chief Abdul Momin, and several other Afghan and foreign officials were killed and many more injured in the attack.
Pakistan wants US to stay in Afghanistan until peace is achieved: DG ISPR
Raziq was criticised by human rights groups but highly respected by US officers who saw him as one of Afghanistan's most effective leaders, largely responsible for keeping Kandahar province under control.
A flamboyant commander, he had survived several attempts on his life over many years and narrowly escaped an attack last year in which five diplomats from the United Arab Emirates were killed in Kandahar.
Officials said one of the governor's bodyguards opened fire on Raziq as he came out of the meeting with Miller and other officials, severely wounding him and several other senior officials including the governor.
"Provincial officials including the governor, the police chief and other officials were accompanying the foreign guests to the plane when the gunshots happened," said Said Jan Khakrezwal, the head of the provincial council.
NATO spokesman Colonel Knut Peters said Miller, who took command of US and forces and the NATO-led Resolute Support mission in Afghanistan last month, was uninjured but two Americans were wounded in the crossfire.
US officials, Taliban to discuss withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan
Afghanistan is on high alert ahead of the long-delayed legislative elections, scheduled for October 20, after the Taliban pledged to attack the ballot.
More than 2,500 candidates are competing for 249 seats in the lower house, including doctors, mullahs, and the sons of former warlords.
The election process has already been marred by bloody violence, with hundreds killed or wounded in recent months.
At least 10 candidates have been killed so far, including Abdul Jabar Qahraman who was blown up Wednesday by a bomb placed under his sofa in the southern province of Helmand.
The election is seen as a rehearsal for the presidential vote scheduled for April and an important milestone ahead of a UN meeting in Geneva in November where Afghanistan is under pressure to show progress on "democratic processes".
Pakistan strongly condemns Kandahar attack
Condemning the terrorist attack, Pakistan said the country stands with the Afghan government and people, reiterating its support for the Afghan democratic process.
“We hope that the parliamentary elections due to take place the day after tomorrow would be held peacefully. Strengthening of democracy is key to long term peace and security in Afghanistan,” said a statement issued by the Foreign Office.
“Pakistan condemns terrorism,” it added.
Islamabad also expressed “heartfelt sympathies and condolences to the families and friends of those who have lost their lives and pray for swift recovery of the injured.”
Prime Minister Imran Khan condemned the Kandahar incident. He linked Pakistan’s peace and security to that of Afghanistan’s in a tweet.
Condemnable terrorist attack targeting Kandahar's governor, police chief & Intel chief. Our condolences & prayers go to President Ghani, the families of the victims & the ppl of Afghanistan. Peace & security of Pakistan is inextricably linked to peace & security in Afghanistan.
— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) October 18, 2018
Pakistan's army chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa also condemned the deadly terrorist attack and expressed desire to see an end to prolonged violence in the neighbouring country.
COAS condemns Kandahar incident. “Wish to see Afghan and other security forces succeeding to bring an end to this prolonged violence in Afghanistan. Peace in Afghanistan is essential for peace in the region. Support all initiatives towards this end”, COAS.
— DG ISPR (@OfficialDGISPR) October 18, 2018
COMMENTS
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ