KABUL: An Afghan election candidate was killed by a bomb planted under his office chair in the southern province of Helmand on Wednesday, officials said, with the Taliban claiming responsibility for the attack.
Abdul Jabar Qahraman, who was preparing to contest Saturday’s parliamentary polls was killed in the blast, a senior government official said.
'Price of democracy': Afghans risking their lives to vote
Omar Zwak, a spokesperson for the Helmand governor, said another seven people were wounded, four of whom later died.
“A bomb was placed below Qahraman’s chair in his campaign office. We are investigating the incident,” Zwak said.
Qahraman is the 10th candidate to be killed in the past two months. Another two have been abducted and four others were wounded by hardline Islamist militants.
Another 22 people were killed at an election rally in northeast Takhar province last week.
US officials, Taliban to discuss withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan
The Afghan Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack that killed Qahraman.
The Islamist group has directed Afghans to boycott the much-delayed parliamentary polls and has vowed to continue its fight against the Western-backed Afghan government.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ