K-E responsible for amputation of minor boy's arms, must pay Rs1m: report

Published: September 3, 2018
SHARES
Email
Muhammad Omer lost both of his arms after he was electrocuted due to contact with a high tension wire. PHOTO: EXPRESS

Muhammad Omer lost both of his arms after he was electrocuted due to contact with a high tension wire. PHOTO: EXPRESS

Declaring the K-Electric responsible for the fall of a high-tension wire that caused an eight-year-old to lose both of his arms, the assistant commissioner, district east has recommended that the utility provider must pay immediately pay Rs1million to the affected family.

In its report sent to the deputy commissioner, the official also stated that the power company must also bear the expenses of the Omer’s treatment, prosthetic arms as well as his education until graduation. It also said asked the federal and provincial governments to make the child’s future secure through saving certificates amounting to Rs5 million.

According to the assistant commissioner, the transmission system of K-Electric’s system is dilapidated. Instead of replacing the high voltage wires in Ahsanabad area, the company is repairing them to continue provision of the utility. It asserted that these wires could also result in mishaps in the future also.

Minor’s amputation case: Seven KE staffers sent on four-day physical remand

The assistant commissioner also said that the utility provider has so far made no contact with Omer’s family.

Earlier today, Sindh Governor Imran Ismael visited the child under treatment at the Civil Hospital and assured the affected family of all-out support.

On Saturday, seven K-Electric staffers, who were arrested on charges of negligence which led to the amputation, were handed-over to police on four-day physical remand.

On the same day, the company refused to take any responsibility for the Omer’s electrocution which led to the amputation of both his arms, saying it was not responsible for the incident.

On August 24, Omer was on his way to get groceries when the incident took place. The child’s parents rushed him to the Burns Center at Civil hospital where he underwent an hours-long surgery. While the doctors were successful in saving his life, both his arms had to be amputated.

Facebook Conversations

Reader Comments (1)

  • Tuk
    Sep 3, 2018 - 8:46PM

    He should also be given lifetime job security. Recommend

Leave Your Reply Below

Your comments may appear in The Express Tribune paper. For this reason we encourage you to provide your city. The Express Tribune does not bear any responsibility for user comments.

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive. For more information, please see our Comments FAQ.

More in Pakistan