Six killed, 13 others trapped in Balochistan coalmine explosion

Published: August 13, 2018
SHARES
Email
Balochistan’s Chief Inspector of Mines Iftikhar Ahmed is present at the site to monitor the rescue efforts. PHOTO: EXPRESS/FILE

Balochistan’s Chief Inspector of Mines Iftikhar Ahmed is present at the site to monitor the rescue efforts. PHOTO: EXPRESS/FILE

At least six miners have been killed with over a dozen more trapped after a gas explosion inside a coalmine in Quetta’s Sanjadi area on Sunday evening, Express News reported.

According to Balochistan Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA), rescue workers have so far recovered the bodies of six miners with efforts under way to save the others trapped inside the coalmine.

Balochistan’s Chief Inspector of Mines Iftikhar Ahmed is present at the site to monitor the rescue efforts.

“It’s going to be difficult to get them [trapped miners] out as rescue work is being slowed down because there’s no electricity in the area,” a local engineer said.

Death toll from Balochistan mines collapse tragedy rises to 23

“The coal mine’s pit where the workers are is at a depth of 4,000 feet and according to our estimates at least 13 miners are still trapped inside,” Deputy Commissioner Quetta said.

“A rescue team and paramedics have been sent from Quetta with directives given to the Water and Power Development Authority to restore electricity in the area,” he added.

Alauddin Marri, the caretaker chief minister for Balochistan has expressed his sadness at the unfortunate incident.

Marri said he has advised authorities to make every possible effort to extract the colliers from inside the tunnel.

Facebook Conversations

More in Balochistan