China’s ZTE to resume trading after $1.4b US settlement

Published: June 13, 2018
SHARES
Email
The ban, which traced back to a breach of a US embargo on trade with Iran, had prevented ZTE from buying the US components it heavily relies on to make smartphones and other devices.

PHOTO: REUTERS

The ban, which traced back to a breach of a US embargo on trade with Iran, had prevented ZTE from buying the US components it heavily relies on to make smartphones and other devices. PHOTO: REUTERS

HONG KONG: ZTE Corp said trading in its shares would resume on Wednesday, ending a two-month suspension, after the Chinese telecommunications giant agreed to pay up to $1.4 billion in penalties to the US government and radically overhaul its management.

China’s number two telecommunications equipment maker was crippled when a seven-year ban was imposed on the company in April for breaking a 2017 agreement reached after it was caught illegally trading with Iran and North Korea. Last week, Reuters reported a preliminary deal included a $1 billion fine and $400 million to be paid by ZTE in escrow to cover any future violations. As part of the deal, ZTE promised to replace its board and executive team within 30 days, open itself up to US inspections of its sites and improve public disclosure of its supply chain.

US reveals ZTE settlement details, ban still in place

The ban, which traced back to a breach of a US embargo on trade with Iran, had prevented ZTE from buying the US components it heavily relies on to make smartphones and other devices. Confirming details of the agreement publicised by the US government on Monday, ZTE said it would replace its board of directors and that of its import-export subsidiary ZTE Kangxun within 30 days of the June 8 order being signed by the United States.

Chinese phone maker ZTE saved from brink after deal with US

All members of its leadership at or above the senior vice president level will be removed within the 30-day period, with a commitment they will not be rehired, along with any executives or officers tied to the wrongdoing, it said.

Published in The Express Tribune, June 13th, 2018.

Like Business on Facebook, follow @TribuneBiz on Twitter to stay informed and join in the conversation.

Facebook Conversations

Reader Comments (1)

  • cuban
    Jun 14, 2018 - 1:08PM

    This huge settlement is ample proof that USA still has enormous clout and even major Chinese mega companies are subject to USA wrath when it comes to Iranian sanctions. Recommend

Leave Your Reply Below

Your comments may appear in The Express Tribune paper. For this reason we encourage you to provide your city. The Express Tribune does not bear any responsibility for user comments.

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive. For more information, please see our Comments FAQ.

More in Business