Interpol seeks more evidence to justify Haqqani red warrant, confirms FIA

FIA chief tells SC that international body is still assessing request


Hasnaat Malik May 02, 2018
A file photo of former Pakistan ambassador to the US Husain Haqqani. PHOTO: EXPRESS

ISLAMABAD: Interpol has sought additional information to justify the issuance of a red notice against former Pakistani ambassador to the United States Husain Haqqani.

Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) Director General  Bashir Memon submitted a fresh report in the apex court regarding his efforts to bring Haqqani back to Pakistan. A copy of the report is available with The Express Tribune.

The report says that a request was sent to the Interpol Secretariat General (IPSG) on April 9 for the issuance of a red notice as a result of an FIR against him regarding the misappropriation and fraudulent withdrawal of $4,127,389 from the government fund from May 28, 2008 to November 23, 2011.

It is revealed that the FIA DG visited IPSG, Lyon from April 10 to 12, wherein he met Interpol Secretary General Jurgen Stock and explained that the case was not of political, military, religious, or racial character and thus did not fall under Article 3 of the Interpol Constitution.

The secretary general assured full cooperation in the matter. Later, the DG also met three senior officials of the Interpol Notice and Diffusion Task Force (NDTF), and requested expediting the process regarding the issuance of a red notice against Haqqani.

“IPSG Lyon on April 24 has sought additional information for the issuance of red notice which is being prepared and provided,” says the report.



The DG states that Haqqani is still at large and reportedly in the United States and that the request for the issuance of an Interpol red notice is being pursued regularly. Subject to the location of the accused, extradition will be transmitted through diplomatic channels, says the report.

It is also informed that he held side meetings with the three Interpol NCB Washington officials, wherein he apprised the Americans of the case against accused.

“They were specifically informed that the matter is of very serious nature as the accused is involved in a criminal case for misappropriation and fraudulent withdrawal of a huge amount,” says the report.

The report informs the SC that American officials were requested to locate the fugitive for his deportation and extradition to Pakistan.

The NCB Washington officers assured the NCB Pakistan of full cooperation in the matter, says the report.

Memogate: Legal options being weighed to bring Haqqani back

The DG states that Haqqani is still at large and reportedly in the United States and that the request for the issuance of an Interpol red notice is being pursued regularly. Subject to the location of the accused, extradition will be transmitted through diplomatic channels, says the report.

It is also informed that Memon held side meetings with the three Interpol NCP Washington officials, wherein he apprised the Americans on the case against accused.

"They were specifically informed that the matter is of very serious nature as the accused is involved in a criminal case for misappropriation and fraudulent withdrawal of a huge amount," says the report.

The report informed the SC that American officials were requested to locate the fugitive for his deportation and extradition to Pakistan.
US NCB officers assured NCB Pakistan of full cooperation in this matter, says the report.



The reports submits that following the FIA DG's meeting in Lyon, the NCB Washington informed on April 12 that the matter had been referred to their authorities and any break in the matter would be communicated accordingly.

On April 13, the NCB Pakistan, while acknowledging the message, reiterated its request to the NCB Washington for tracing the accused as soon as possible, says the report.

Meanwhile, another three-judge bench of the top court, headed by Chief Justice Mian Saqib Nisar, has appointed lawyer Ahmer Bilal Soofi to assist over the repatriation of the country’s former envoy to the US.

The bench on Wednesday resumed the hearing of the Memogate case against Haqqani. “Is it true that someone has refused to issue a red warrant for Haqqani?” the bench questioned.

The FIA DG informed the court that he discussed Haqqani’s case with the Americans. “They say that we also have one of their people in custody,” he said. “I even showed them the red warrant against Haqqani.”

“Did the US government refuse to hand over Haqqani?” the bench questioned further. “So if a US citizen gives a statement under oath to the US Supreme Court and does not appear in front of the court, and if the US asks for him, can Pakistan also refuse to hand him over?” it further questioned.

The hearing was then adjourned for an indefinite period.



Missing persons case

 

Additional Attorney General (AAG) Sajid Ilyas Bhatti, submitting an interim report in the missing persons’ case, on Wednesday informed the Supreme Court that 1,330 people had been detained in different internment centres.

The three-judge bench, headed by Justice Ejaz Afzal Khan, was also informed that 253 internees had also been released so far.

The bench then inquired whether proceedings had been initiated against them, to which the AAG requested the bench to give two weeks for submitting complete details.

Justice Khan remarked that the heirs of the missing persons were helpless and they must approach the courts and the commission for help.

Lawyer Inaamur Raheem, counsel for the missing persons, stated that the security establishment is neither submitting the report before the top court nor was it serious in complying with orders.

Raheem lamented the future of the case, telling Justice Khan that “after your retirement, the families of the missing persons will approach Manzoor Pashteen for help”. The lawyer added that East Pakistan disintegrated when people started to disappear.

The bench also sought the internment order in the case of Taseef, a man missing since 2013.

Raheem also submitted the case of Arshed Bilal who was sentenced to death by a military court, but has been missing since 2011, when he was still a juvenile. The court directed Raheem to approach the LHC. The hearing of the case was then adjourned for two weeks.

Justice Khan will not be on the bench during the next hearing as he is retiring on May 7.

COMMENTS (1)

dubious | 3 years ago | Reply Couldn't get warrant based on "memogate" and bringing up misappropriation going back ten years is likely to look like desperate politically motivated charge. Pakistan hasn't been successful in convincing Interpol to go after any of its overseas politicians - this won't be any different.
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read