Two dead in Marseille train station knife attack

Local prosecutor Xavier Tarabeux says the knifeman has been shot by soldiers


Afp October 01, 2017
This picture obtained on the twitter account of Stan Marcelja and taken on October 1, 2017 shows French police on the stairs leading to the Saint-Charles main train station in Marseille, southern France, after a man armed with a knife killed two people. PHOTO: AFP

MARSEILLE: A man armed with a knife killed two people at the main train station in the Mediterranean port city of Marseille, France on Sunday before being shot by soldiers patrolling there, local officials said.

"Two victims have been stabbed to death," regional police chief Olivier de Mazieres said, referring to the attack which occurred at 1:45pm.

Local prosecutor Xavier Tarabeux said the knifeman had been shot by soldiers, while the Marseille police urged people in the city to avoid the area around Saint-Charles station.

The deaths came with France still on high alert following a string of terror attacks which began in January 2015 when jihadist gunmen stormed the offices of the satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo, killing 12.

The government has since launched Operation Sentinelle, deploying about 7,000 troops across the country to guard high-risk areas such as transport hubs, tourist sites and religious buildings.

The attacks since 2015 have left 239 people dead, according to an AFP count before Sunday's incident.

French Interior Minister Gerard Collomb posted on Twitter that he would travel to Marseille immediately.

COMMENTS (2)

VGP | 3 years ago | Reply ET was very clever in not disclosing the identity of the attacker
Giri | 3 years ago | Reply Europe is paying price for being too lenient on terror.
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read