North Korea says Trump has 'declared war'

Published: September 26, 2017
SHARES
Email
North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho leaves his hotel in New York on Monday. Ri says President Trump's tweets amount to a declaration of war against North Korea — and that the country can now defend itself under international law. PHOTO: AFP

North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho leaves his hotel in New York on Monday. Ri says President Trump's tweets amount to a declaration of war against North Korea — and that the country can now defend itself under international law. PHOTO: AFP

NEW YORK: North Korea’s foreign minister said on Monday President Donald Trump had declared war on North Korea and that Pyongyang reserved the right to take countermeasures, including shooting down US bombers even if they are not in its air space.

Ri Yong Ho said a Twitter message by Trump on Saturday in which the president warned that the minister and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un “won’t be around much longer” if they acted on their threats amounted to a declaration of war.

White House spokesperson Sarah Saunders on Monday denied the United States had declared war and called the suggestion “absurd”.

US calls North Korea nuclear bomb test threat ‘shocking’

Earlier in New York, where he had been attending the annual UN General Assembly, Ri told reporters: “The whole world should clearly remember it was the US who first declared war on our country.”

”Since the United States declared war on our country, we will have every right to make countermeasures, including the right to shoot down United States strategic bombers even when they are not inside the airspace border of our country.

“The question of who won’t be around much longer will be answered then,” Ri added.

On Saturday, US Air Force B-1B Lancer bombers escorted by fighters flew in international airspace over waters east of North Korea in a show of force after a heated exchange of rhetoric between Trump and Kim over North Korea’s nuclear and missile programs.

3.5-magnitude quake rattles North Korea near nuclear test site

The Pentagon said the flight was the farthest north of the demilitarized zone separating North and South Korea that any US fighter jet or bomber has flown in the 21st century.

“That operation was conducted in international airspace, over international waters, so we have the right to fly, sail and operate where legally permissible around the globe,” Pentagon spokesperson Colonel Robert Manning said on Monday.

North Korea, which has remained technically at war with the United States since the 1950-53 Korean War ended in a truce and not a peace treaty, has been working to develop nuclear-tipped missiles capable of hitting the US mainland and conducted its sixth and largest nuclear test this month.

Facebook Conversations

Leave Your Reply Below

Your comments may appear in The Express Tribune paper. For this reason we encourage you to provide your city. The Express Tribune does not bear any responsibility for user comments.

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive. For more information, please see our Comments FAQ.

More in World