WELLINGTON: New Zealand Cricket (NZC) on Tuesday shifted next month's fourth ODI against South Africa to Hamilton due to inadequate drainage at the original venue in Napier.
Earlier this month, an ODI between Australia and New Zealand at McLean Park was abandoned because of a sodden outfield and NZC said the risk of another washout was too great.
"Any period of significant or extended rain in the lead-up would likely result in the same outcome," NZC chief operating officer Andrew Crummy said.
As a result, the fourth ODI between New Zealand and the Proteas on Wednesday, March 1, will now be played at Hamilton's Seddon Park.
The washout against Australia was the third time in four years that inclement weather forced a one-day international to be cancelled at McLean Park without a ball being bowled.
Williamson steers New Zealand to victory over Bangladesh
NZC said urgent remedial work was needed to prepare the ground for ODIs involving England and Pakistan next season.
The Proteas arrived in New Zealand this week and play a one-off T20I against the Black Caps on Friday, followed by five ODIs and three Tests.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ