Toxic liquor kills varsity student

Published: October 23, 2016

LAHORE: A student of a private university has died and two more have been admitted to hospital allegedly after consuming toxic liquor in Lahore.

Police said a group of university students had arranged a birthday bash on Friday night for a friend identified as Sarmad Rafique, 22, from Bahawalnagar.

Sindh High Court orders shutdown of liquor shops

The group gathered at a rented flat in Shabbir Town to celebrate where Sarmad along with Saleh Rehman, 21, and Faizan, 22, allegedly consumed liquor and fell asleep.

In the morning when Jawad, a younger brother of Sarmad, tried to wake them up they did not respond. He called an ambulance from Rescue 1122 that shifted the victims to Jinnah Hospital. Doctors pronounced Saleh dead on arrival.

License to sell: Court questions criteria for liquor shop licencing

Faizan regained consciousness after a few hours of medical treatment and is said to be in a stable condition. Rafique, meanwhile, has been shifted to Farooq hospital for further treatment.

Chung SHO Shahid Ali confirmed circumstantial evidence suggested the students had consumed poisonous alcohol on Friday night. He said Saleh’s family had refused to allow the autopsy of the deceased.

Published in The Express Tribune, October 23rd, 2016.

Facebook Conversations

Reader Comments (1)

  • Siddiqi
    Oct 23, 2016 - 5:46PM

    Expect a rise in such incidents following the SHC’s order to seal liquor shops in Karachi.

    There will always be a demand for alcohol. Regrettably, the court is setting in place conditions that will allow the proliferation of illicit and unsafe liquor along with the criminal elements that peddle it.Recommend

More in Punjab