AKU student commits suicide

Student was found hanging from the ceiling of his dorm room

Yusra Salim April 21, 2016

KARACHI: A student of Aga Khan University (AKU) committed suicide on premises late Wednesday night.

The second-year nursing student, Waseemullah Khan, was found hanging from the ceiling of his dorm room, a security guard at the hostel told The Express Tribune. However, faculty members refused to comment.

Family’s jubilation turns to mourning

The student hailed from Gilgit and was studying on a full scholarship and job guarantee at AKU’s Nursing School. The reason for the suicide is not yet known.

Waseemullah Hussain

"We haven't yet decided whether the body will be handed over to the family or be sent for an autopsy," a professor said on the condition of anonymity. All classes and examinations have been cancelled.

14-year-old schoolboy commits suicide in Peshawar over marriage refusal

“Apparently the student committed suicide but the police is investigating the case from different angles while the statements of his fellows, administration and family will also be recorded,” Gulshan SP Dr Fahad said.

This is not the first time a student at AKU has committed suicide. Ishfaq Hussain, a 21-year-old medical student from Chitral was found hanging from the ceiling fan inside his dorm room at the AKU in 2010. “Ishfaq left a four-page suicide note,” confided one medical student close to him. The note, he alleged, detailed the young man’s miserable life at AKU. The AKU administration’s officials initially denied that Ishfaq had left any suicide note.

Waseemullah Hussain

He was meant to save lives, but took his own

Last week, 27-year-old Abdul Basit Jamal Siddiqui, a final-year student of BDS at the Hamdard University’s (HU) main campus, committed suicide by immolating himself. The apparent reason behind this extreme action: the university’s management did not allow him to appear in his final paper. He reached the university late because of which the university administration disallowed him from appearing in the exam.

The exam for the paper was held between 11am to 1pm at the university’s main campus on Monday, but Abdul Basit arrived at the campus half an hour after the paper ended. He came in at around 1:30pm when the examination had already finished and external examiners left the university, read a text message sent in by the university management.


Farwah Gilani | 7 years ago | Reply Our kids need more love and cares.
excalibur | 7 years ago | Reply Instead of a transparent investigation why are people trying to protect the college and indirectly blaming the student akin to a rape victim that it was his fault or shortcoming alone ??????
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ