Man pleads not guilty to arson, hate crime at California mosque

The district attorney's office says the man remains held in the Indio Jail on bail of $150,000


Reuters December 17, 2015
Carl James Dial Jr., 23, is shown in this booking photo provided by the Riverside County Sheriff's Department in Indio, California December 12, 2015. PHOTO: REUTERS

A 23-year-old man suspected of setting a fire at a Southern California mosque in a hate attack following the massacre of 14 people by a Muslim couple pleaded not guilty on Wednesday, officials said.

Carl James Dial pleaded not guilty to charges of arson, burglary and committing a hate crime in connection with Friday's fire in the entrance of Islamic Society of the Coachella Valley, the Riverside County District Attorney's Office said.

San Bernardino shootings: Pakistani-origin couple behind California carnage

Authorities said the fire caused no injuries. But it charred the building's stucco front entrance, leaving it with chunks of plaster torn out and littered with debris.

The local Desert Sun newspaper reported on Wednesday that Dial's parents are seeking a lawyer to take the case, which they said was complex, pro bono.

The blaze heightened concerns about an anti-Islamic backlash in the wake of the Dec. 2 massacre of 14 people by US-born Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, and his Pakistani-born wife, Tashfeen Malik, 29, at a holiday party in San Bernardino, about 75 miles (121 km) northwest of Coachella.

Mosque in Canada ‘deliberately’ set on fire

The FBI has said it is treating the shooting as an act of terrorism, citing the couple's declaration that they were acting on behalf of the Islamic State militant group.

On his Facebook page, Dial made a number of references to Islamic State, such as on October 31 when he wrote that he was watching execution videos by the militant group.

He also overlayed his profile picture with the French flag, as have many Facebook users in response to Islamic State's coordinated series of shootings and suicide bombings in Paris that killed 130 people last month.

France shuts mosque, arrests man in crackdown after attacks

The district attorney's office said Dial was set next to appear in court on Dec. 28 for a conference. If convicted, he could face a maximum sentence of 11 years and four months in prison, the office said.

He remains held in the Indio Jail on bail of $150,000, the district attorney's office said.

President Barack Obama will travel on Friday to San Bernardino, the White House said on Wednesday.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read