RAWALPINDI: A suicide bomber blew himself near a mourning procession in Dhok Saeydan, Rawalpindi late on Wednesday night, killing 13, and injuring at least 27 people – including children, Express News reported.
The dead and injured were shifted to the Holy Family Hospital, Benazir, Civil and District Headquarters Hospital where emergency was imposed.
Bomb disposal squad recovered seven hand grenades from the spot and defused them.
Some mourners gathered at the DHQ hospital and protested against the security lapse.
President Asif Ali Zardari, Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf along with other political leaders condemned the blast. The President and the Prime Minister have sought reports on the incident from concerned officials.
End of live updates:
PML-N MNA Shakeel Awan visited the hospital to enquire after the injured but the visit soon turned into a scuffle with the family members of the injured.
Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf has strongly condemned the bomb blast in Rawalpindi, and expressed grief and sorrow over the loss of precious lives in the unfortunate incident.
The Prime Minister directed the concerned authorities to immediately start relief operation and provide best medical treatment to the injured.
He directed the concerned authorities to investigate the incident and submit a report in this regard.
Bomb disposal squad is trying to defuse the hand grenades.
Qaiser Shirazi – Rawalpindi General Hospital – eight injured and one dead have been brought here. DHQ seven injured, one dead and parts of the suicide bombers were taken.
Some suspects have also been arrested from the site.
A 10 year old child who was injured in the blast succumbed to his injuries.
Additional MS Sher Ali confirmed that ten dead bodies were brought to the DHQ hospital.
Interior Minister Rehman Malik said the attacks were designed to create the impression that the government is incapable of providing adequate security for the summit.
“We are trying to build relationships, get investment in Pakistan and these groups are trying to derail the process,” he told Reuters.
“At least four people have expired as a result of the blast. There are more than a dozen injured,” said Muhammad Haroon, a police official who was at the spot.
Qamarul Munawar added that when volunteers tried to stop the suspected bomber, he detonated himself.
President Asif Ali Zardari strongly condemned bomb blast.
The President has sought a report on the incident from the concerned officials.
The President directed the authorities to provide best medical treatment to the injured.
Express News correspondent Qamarul Munawar reports that at least eight people have now died due to the blast.
Some of the injured have been moved to the Holy Family Hospital.
Army helicopter now hovering over the blast site.
Injured have been mostly moved to the Military hospital while the dead have been moved to the District Headquarters Hospital, Express News correspondent Imran Asghar.
Power has been restored to the area.
Bomb Disposal Squad officials told Express News correspondent Imran Asghar that they had also recovered suicide vests and six to seven hand grenades near the site of the blast.
Only two hours ago, security levels had been elevated to high alert following the blasts in Karachi.
Army units along with Rawalpindi police have cordoned off the area.
Officials of the cantonment board are also trying to reach the spot.
Blast took place near Qasr-e-Shabbir imambargah. Express News correspondent Qamarul Munawar reported that various sources confirmed that at least seven people have been killed in the blast.
Faisal Kamal, who lives almost a kilometre from the blast told The Express Tribune that the windows and doors of his house shook due to the blast.
Emergency imposed in all hospitals in Rawalpindi.