ISLAMABAD: Disposing of the Kohistan video case, the Supreme Court of Pakistan said on Wednesday that the girls were alive and that if the plaintiff had more evidence then the case could be reopened, Express News reported.
A suo motu notice was taken on media reports of a Kohistan Jirga that had ‘condemned’ to death four girls for defying strict tribal custom.
A report of a judicial officer was presented before a three-member bench, headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry. The report stated that media reports about the killings were bogus and that the girls were alive.
Social Worker Dr Farzana Bari said that she still had some “reservations”. She said that the girls presented before them did not resemble the girls seen in the video.
Justice Jawad S Khwaja said that the statement given by Muhammad Afzal, brother of two men who filmed the video, had been proven untrue.
Afzal’s brother Bin Yasir and Gul Nazar, had allegedly made the film and uploaded it on a video sharing site.
More in KP & FATAOverloaded vehicles: Road accidents claim five lives, injure 30