The search and rescue operation for the 140 soldiers and contractors buried at Gayari met relative success on its 50th day as the body of one soldier was recovered from the Siachen. The soldier was identified as Mohammad Hussain, Express News reported.
Express News correspondent Mohammad Afzal reported early Sunday morning that rescue officials working round the clock to recover the 140 soldiers and contractors buried by an avalanche on April 7, had first discovered a check post for the residential barracks of soldiers.
The deceased’s body has been shifted to Goma Hospital. More discoveries are now expected over the next few days.
The last official dispatch from Inter-Service Public Relation on May 22, said that clearance efforts were underway round the clock.
Simultaneous efforts are being undertaken to tackle effects of water on the site in the shape of ponds, cutting and crevasses. The water has started draining and has resulted in quick reduction of water levels in the lake up to 27 feet.
Excavation work has resumed its full pace despite difficulties posed by seepage of the water at the sites, hazards of crevasses, cutting by water and sinking effects for digging equipment.
Meanwhile during physical inspection of the area, some equipment had been found.
ISPR had reported that Ground Penetrating Rader (GPR) teams took readings at 26 different points and identified eight sites for further search.
“A 300-feet long course has been hauled over the avalanche for restoration of the channel by employing dozers,” the release quoted an official.
More than 450 rescuers, including foreign teams, have been working in sub-zero temperatures at the site since the incident, though experts have said there is little chance of finding any survivors.