Renowned novelist Ishtiaq Ahmed passes away at 74

Published: November 17, 2015
EXPRESS NEWS screengrab

EXPRESS NEWS screengrab

Renowned fiction novelist Ishtiaq Ahmed died of a heart attack on Tuesday while he was waiting to board a flight to Lahore at the Karachi airport.

Ahmed, who was 74 years old at the time of his death, was an author of children’s literature, known mostly among the youth for his suspenseful Urdu novels featuring inspector Jamshed and Kamran Mirza and the famous characters of Mehmood, Farooq, Farzana and Shoki, Express News reported.

History and fiction: ‘Pakistani writers are introspective’

He penned around 800 novels, most of which centred around the theme of spies and detectives.

The novelist wrote his first book in 1973 and was at height of his fame during the 1970s and all through the 90s.

Ahmed leaves behind his wife, five sons and three daughters.

• Muneeb
    Nov 17, 2015 - 5:54PM

May his soul RIP. His novels were amazing.Recommend

• Blunt
    Nov 17, 2015 - 6:42PM

RIP. Childhood memories !!!Recommend

• Neelo
    Nov 17, 2015 - 7:07PM

Back in the days, i used to wonder how my life will proceed if I don’t get to read his novels. His novels were addictive. Recommend

• Truth Detector
    Nov 17, 2015 - 7:14PM

Grew up reading his novels. He was great writer who not only inspired reading habits but always had good moral lesson in his novels. May he rest in Peace !!Recommend

• Asif Khan
    Nov 17, 2015 - 7:21PM

“Inna Lilllah e wa Inna Aleih e Rajaioon”. He was excellent writer who enamored a generation with his excellent ethical suspense novels. Those who have read his novels can never forget Sir Ishtiaq Ahmed. May Allah bless his soul and place him Jannat al firdos.Recommend

• Furqan Ahmed Malik
    Nov 17, 2015 - 7:31PM

He left a void… A legend.. A true Patriot Pakistani and a true Muslim.. He taught by his writings the true colors of culturally rich Islamic family values, Islam, Pakistaniyat, Science fiction and character building for the youth….

I have learned a lot from his books, a true spiritual teacher…

انا لله وانا اليه راجعون Recommend

• khalid
    Nov 17, 2015 - 7:33PM

May Allah (swt) grant him paradise. 800 Novels is a great achievement. Recommend

• ayakalim
    Nov 17, 2015 - 8:23PM

May Allah give sabar to his family and give him the highest of rewards. I am extremely hearbroken at this news. His work was such a huge part of my childhood and one of my earliest inspirations. Recommend

• hashim
    Nov 17, 2015 - 8:24PM

Sad news.i grew up reading his novels.and i have still 300 novels of ishtiaq ahmad. i consider him among ibne safi,Agatha Kristi,arther canon dial,J.K Rowling and J.R.R.TolkinRecommend

• Ali Altaf Saleem
    Nov 17, 2015 - 10:11PM

May his soul rest in peace and may Allah Almighty grant him Jannat.Recommend

• faisal
    Nov 17, 2015 - 11:05PM

Great loss! may Allah rest him in eternal peace, in my childhood i just couldn’t spend a single day without inspector jamshed, kamran mirza, & shoki novels those were the days :(Recommend

• Babar
    Nov 17, 2015 - 11:10PM

Indeed he was one of the best. Would save all my pocket money to be able to buy the 8 book series every month. Does any body remember the marathons: the 2000/3000 pagers…they were massive..read them allRecommend

• Kashif
    Nov 18, 2015 - 12:40AM

I must have read all his novels and series till 1987.. wow he was a brilliant suspense writer.. Inna lillahe wa inna illehe rajioon.. may he resf in eternal peace.Recommend

• bechari-awam
    Nov 18, 2015 - 12:59AM

Really sad to hear that news. i grew up reading his novels and was considered as an authority on his characters. I used to run a small library during my middle school time and lent kids his novel charging them 50paisa per day ;). Also won a couple of 100 rupees for answering the questions a few time. still remember circling around the bookstore on 20th of month in anticipation of grabbing the upcoming khas number. Lost in touch once joined an engineering school and also due to his novels getting more radicalized in mid-late 90s. Recommend

• MUNIBA SAFDAR
    Nov 18, 2015 - 1:28AM

may his soul rest in peace ameenRecommend

• Pathan Khan
    Nov 18, 2015 - 2:19AM

Not that fast my fellow commentators!!. Mr. Ishtiaq was surrounded by religious groups, as he started to poison young minds by adding a page or two of sectarian propaganda in his story books. Not all writers are good this is the moral of the story. Recommend

• Tariq Haque
    Nov 18, 2015 - 2:22AM

My youth was full of his novels. I used to love them.
    May he rest in peace and in Jannah.Recommend

• sua
    Nov 18, 2015 - 6:51AM

Very sad news. Makes me tearful. He was one of the personalities one would like to meet in this small life. At loss of words and just tears rolling down. May Allah grant him jannahRecommend

• Ammar
    Nov 18, 2015 - 8:29AM

@Pathan Khan Agree bro. He was one of those writers who put sectarian hatred subconsciously in the minds of youth slowly and steadyly.Recommend

• Samir
    Nov 18, 2015 - 3:43PM

He was my favourite author for many years. I used to repeatedly visit my local book shop every month waiting for his novels to arrive. Eventually I subscribed to his novels and used to receive 3 novels a month for a long time.

He was a prolific writer and an extremely humble person. I used to write to him nearly monthly and he would reply every time in his own hand till one day he wrote apologizing that due to writing 4-5 novels a month and replying personally to mails, he had developed a wrist problem and had finally hired a person that he was now dictating to.

He used to do much of his creative work sitting in the mosque. May Allah grant him eternal peace.Recommend

• Ibrahim Sherkoti
    Nov 18, 2015 - 3:53PM

He always was a mentor to the Pakistani teenagers. I can’t bare his death as it was for Hakim Saeed Shahed. They both are legends who spent their lives for children and youth of Pakistan.Recommend

• faisal adnan
    Nov 18, 2015 - 5:25PM

May Allah rest his soul in peace. My whole childhood revolved around reading his novels and khaas numbers.Recommend

• Zia-Ur-Rehman
    Nov 18, 2015 - 6:22PM

May his soul rest in Peace…….He was one of my favourite novelist…….Recommend

• muhammad Irshad Ahmed
    Nov 18, 2015 - 8:19PM

a brave man, a best fiction writer although his big work on Islamic history use nick name Abdullah Farani write the complete history of Muhammad Peace be upon him, khilafat e Rashida. these work is as sadqa e jaria. May Allah rest his soul in peace.Recommend

• Nov 19, 2015 - 3:11PM

He was the faviorute writers of my parents. I read one of his novels and they were great…………… It’s a loss of a great man. May god rest his soul in peaceRecommend

• raheel
    Nov 20, 2015 - 4:48PM

i remember how would i go to a public library nearby my home and eagerly look for his novels to spend my weekend… how could the children of social network now a days know the charm of diving into the world full of mysteries and suspense created by Ishtiaq AhmadRecommend

• Monam Hayat
    Nov 20, 2015 - 11:04PM

Very sad, he was my one of the favourite novelist ……. His novels espically ‘khas number’ are amazing ….one of the best children author of suspense Urdu novels….. Will going to miss him… May his soul rest in peace. AmeenRecommend

• Muhammad Saeed Alam
    Nov 21, 2015 - 6:49PM

He prove himself that “struggle is the key of success” in his whole life. His novels and idea creativity always spark as wrote in the novels. Myself and every one love him lot and always remember him in ours prays. May his Soule rest in peace … AmeenRecommend

• Umer
    Nov 25, 2015 - 8:01PM

:Ammar:Pathan Khan: Mr .ishtiaq Ahmed was one of those famous writers who used this medium of fiction for improvement of society … indulge his readers to be more religous, more country loving and optimistic about their future.
    Few people didnot like his idea of putting religion in his fiction especially qadiani cult , who seems to have taken his blows at personal level , however, i still think that much religion has been taught in schools aswell . One should not be offended by such anecdotal idealistic projections of writers , so much so that you call him “bad writer” at his death day.
    Perhaps , as a courtesy of his deeds and service to pakistani nation …we should hold our grudges for some time later. Recommend

• ABDUL MAJEED
    Feb 3, 2016 - 2:35PM

Ishtaq Ahmed was my class-fellow one to 5th class. He was very intelligent and talkative.He proved himself that “struggle is the key of success” in his whole life. His novels and idea creativity always spark as wrote in the novels. Myself and every one love him lot and always remember him in ours prays. May his Soul rest in peace … AmeenRecommend

More in Art and Books