Muharram security: ‘No one will be allowed to fuel sectarian violence’

No power can divide us if we can ensure religious amity, says Sanaullah


Our Correspondents October 06, 2015
Punjab Law Minister Rana Sanaullah addresses a press conference at the Punjab Assembly in Lahore on August 25, 2015. PHOTO: WASEEM NAZIR/EXPRESS

DERA GHAZI KHAN/ BAHAWALPUR/ FAISALABAD:


Those caught misusing loudspeakers, publishing and disseminating hate material, delivering fiery speeches and inciting people to violence will be prosecuted under the Anti-Terrorism Act, Minister for Law Rana Sanaullah said at a meeting at the Bahawalpur Circuit House on Tuesday. “No one will be allowed to fuel sectarian violence.” 


Maintaining peace throughout the country is a responsibility every citizen must shoulder, he said.

Religious scholars had been barred from travelling to and from other provinces during the month of Muharram, he said. “Local religious leaders preach peace and love in their areas all year round…they should observe their duties instead of inviting speakers from other provinces during Muharram.” He said they would make sure that the sound from loud speakers used for majalis would remain within the enclosures.

“We are on a journey to build a peaceful Pakistan…we need the support and cooperation of leaders of all religious sects,” he said. The government has made arrangements so that there is no load-shedding on 9th and 10th Muharram. Local administrators have been told to arrange backup generators in case of an emergency, he said.

During his visit to Dera Ghazi Khan, Sanaullah said that he had found the state of religious harmony to be satisfactory. He requested religious leaders to cooperate with the administration to maintain peace in the district.

“Those travelling to Punjab from other provinces don’t really care about the consequences of inciting people to violence and creating a law and order situation.”

He said MNAs and MPAs would accompany the largest Muharram procession in Dera Ghazi Khan to demonstrate religious harmony. He said a code of conduct had been prepared for Muharram that would be put into effect soon. He said hate speech and material, wall chalking, violation of the Loud Speaker Act and display of firearms would not be tolerated. He said the country had been suffering from terrorism for over a decade. “Religious harmony reflects a healthy society… no power can divide the nation if we can ensure religious amity.”



He said a list of people to be placed on the fourth schedule would be drawn according to recommendations from the administration and prominent religious leaders.

Sanaullah said that he had been visiting all divisions to inspect security arrangements and to discuss the situation with religious leaders.

He requested religious leaders to make sure that they conclude processions while there is daylight. He said the government had also sanctioned funds for alternative electricity sources. Dera Ghazi Khan Commissioner Nadeemur Rehman said there was religious harmony in the Dera Ghazi Khan division.

Interior Secretary Major (r) Azam Suleman, IG Mushtaq Ahmad Sukhera and other members of the cabinet committee were present on the occasion.

Faisalabad security

DCO Noorul Amin Mengal said on Tuesday that he had directed officials of relevant district departments to ensure there were no obstacles or encroachments on Muharram routes.

The DCO was presiding over a meeting to finalise the security and administrative arrangements for the holy month. He stressed the need to implement the Muharram contingency plan in letter and spirit.

A well-equipped district control room would be set up at the DCO’s office monitor Muharram security and similar control rooms would be set up at the tehsil level.

The DCO said the ban on misuse of loudspeakers would be strictly implemented and no wall chalking should be permitted. He said surveillance cameras were being installed at vulnerable points and proper lighting would be arranged for roads along the Muharram processions and majalis.

He said an emergency had been declared at all public hospitals in the district and additional doctors/paramedical staff would be deployed during Muharram. He told assistant commissioners to meet religious leaders who had licences to organise Muharram processions. He urged them to listen to the leaders and to address their reservations about security if any.

He said proper cleanliness and repair of the procession routs would be ensured. The DCO told relevant departments to maintain close liaison with those organising Muharram programmes.

Published in The Express Tribune, October 7th, 2015.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ