Waziristan violence: 26 ‘militants’ killed in air, ground strikes

Blast in Wana leaves political clerk, two others dead.


Our Correspondents June 02, 2015
26 Militants were killed in air, ground strikes. PHOTO: ISPR/EXPRESS FILE

PESHAWAR/ DI KHAN:


Twenty-six suspected militants have been killed in air and ground strikes in the past 24 hours in North Waziristan Agency where a massive military operation, codenamed Zarb-e-Azb, has been ongoing since mid-June, last year.


Four suspected militants were killed when a remotely-piloted US aircraft fired two missiles at a vehicle in Shawal Valley Monday night. The identities of the slain militants were not immediately known, but officials said the fatalities included foreigners.

Sources said 10 suspected militants, including foreigners, were also killed in air raids in Datta Khel town on Monday. A large cache of arms and ammunition is believed to have been destroyed in the blitz.

Moreover, 12 terrorists were killed by the security forces in a ground operation 10 kilometres south-west of Datta Khel late Sunday night, according to the Imilitary’s media wing, the Inter-Services Public Relations. The operation forced other militants to flee, leaving behind the bodies of their associates.

Meanwhile in the neighbouring South Waziristan agency, three persons were killed in a roadside blast in Wana Monday morning. A political clerk and two other tribesmen died in the incident, said an official of the political administration.



Political clerk Farooq Khan’s car was travelling from Khan’s hometown of Raghzai to Wana Bazaar when the explosion occurred at Wana-Angoor Adda Road near Raghzai. Farooq and tribesmen Hazrat Noor and Raz Khan, who were travelling with him, died on the spot. Farooq belonged to the Gangikhel tribe.

Separately, authorities found two bodies with gunshot wounds in the Angoor Adda area of South Waziristan, said security officials. The men had gone missing two months ago. Officials said that according to a note found an the bodies, the men were killed for “spying for the US”. The note warned that others spying for the US would meet the same fate.


Published in The Express Tribune, June 2nd, 2015.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

Most Read