Arrested development: Balochistan yet to get funds from Centre, says CM Malik

Rs3b sought to develop Quetta, Rs2b for Mangi dam


Our Correspondent May 03, 2015
Balochistan Chief Minister Dr Abdul Malik Baloch. PHOTO: APP

QUETTA: The Balochistan government is still waiting for the Rs15 billion it had requested from the federal government for various development projects, provincial chief minister Dr Abdul Malik Baloch said on Saturday.

Dr Malik said the provincial government required Rs3 billion to develop Quetta and Rs2 billion for the Mangi dam and other small dams in the suburbs of the provincial capital.

Addressing a session of the Balochistan Assembly, the chief minister said development of the province was the topmost priority of the government and the right use of the funds was its obligation.

Malik said that according to Federal Minister for Planning & Development Ahsan Iqbal, the amount of the funds requested was ‘huge’ and Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif would make a decision in this regard.

The CM said the previous government had created difficulties by making unnecessary appointments in government departments. “So far, 12,000 employees have been regularised in the health and education departments.”

He accused the previous government of not making appointments in the education sector through the Balochistan package. “Subsidies are also being paid to farmers, which increases the government’s burden.”

Talking about releasing development funds, the chief minister said the Planning and Development Department could not do anything unless the government departments submit their proposals.

He said if any files were pending with the chief secretary or with him, then the government would be responsible for them, but any other delays would be investigated into.

Published in The Express Tribune, May 3rd, 2015.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read