Mumbai is a beautiful city but Lahore is where I was born and bred: Fawad Khan

Published: March 5, 2015
PHOTO: PUBLICITY

PHOTO: PUBLICITY

Pakistani heartthrob and now Bollywood actor Fawad Khan might be in the news for signing, or reportedly signing, Hindi films left, right and center, but the singer-turned-actor has no plans to shift base to Mumbai.

In an interview with tabloid!, our prince charming revealed that although he finds Mumbai appealing, he is not ready to move his entire family and everyone around him to India. “It’s amazing the kind of energy and the kind of vibe [Mumbai has] but the thing is I will have to pick up the whole family and everyone around me and move there. And then again, see Lahore is where I was born and bred so…,” he said.

Answering a question on whether it was difficult for him to make an entry in Bollywood Fawad said, “I am very lucky. Thank God I am very lucky but it was fairly simple. They had seen my work. They thought I fit the role. And I read a couple of scenes with them… I flew down; they said OK when do we start.  So it was pretty much just 1,2,3.”

While discussing his debut Bollywood film Khoobsurat starring Sonam Kapoor, he said, “Being a part of the Bollywood industry gives you to the kind of exposure that’s unimaginable. You also tap into this experience of technical expertise that this industry has been carrying along for several years. I didn’t take part in the industry with an agenda in mind. If it happens, great. By chance it became really big and I am thrilled about it.”

Fawad with Khoobsurat co-star Sonam at Amritsar’s Golden Temple. PHOTO: AFP

Speaking about the support he gets from his team Fawad said, “Whenever you do something with a little bit of honesty, loyalty, dedication and you are in sync with the people around, then something good has to come out of it. You get that feel-good factor out of it.”

Although there have been several rumours of him signing a dozen Bollywood films lately, Fawad chose not to discuss any of his upcoming projects. He did however reveal the process of deciding which films to do. “My character has to be alive. It can’t be a mere prop and it has to have a life of its own. I need to have that space to play around and the scope to interact with the people around me. That freedom would give me a lot of margin to improvise with” he said.

• kal
    Mar 5, 2015 - 3:05PM

He was actually born in Karachi.Recommend

• Mar 5, 2015 - 5:33PM

@kal:
    Seems like you you delivered him yourselfRecommend

• Jawad U Rahman
    Mar 5, 2015 - 7:36PM

That’s a very weak response. Seems like his love for Lahore was an afterthought. The main reason seems to be the trouble of having to move the whole family to India. Recommend

• Rohi Mela
    Mar 5, 2015 - 8:25PM

Once a Lahori, always a Lahori. Wish you all the best Fawad :-)Recommend

• Shah
    Mar 5, 2015 - 8:38PM

uh.. you mean prince eh? not price

‘In an interview with tabloid!, our price charming revealed that although ….’

Tribune you ought to find good writers who do this to do or atleast hire someone to proofread content before submitting!!!!!!Recommend

• Kal
    Mar 5, 2015 - 9:22PM

@SKN:
    It’s on wikipedia and he said it himself on KBC when he was asked by Amitabh Bachan.

Fawad Khan is from an Urdu-speaking family with origins in Lucknow and PatialaRecommend

• goggi (Lahore)
    Mar 5, 2015 - 10:47PM

The true homeland is actually our language!

And more than the language it is our accent!

It expresses a feeling, a culture and a way of life!

Wherever we go, wherever we live, we carry our homeland with us!

Fawad speaks with a Lahori accent!!!

1000001 good wishes for him and his whole family!Recommend

• Janet Garcia - Texas USA
    Mar 6, 2015 - 3:04AM

Fawad Khan the heartthrob of Pakistan and now is making the ladies of India swoon is also generating popularity in America I hear through my friends in Hollywood that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are interested in casting him in their next project while Madonna would love to strut this man in her next video, step aside Ali Zafar and Shaan make room for the Pakistani heart throb to enter the Universal stage. Recommend

• Chachoo
    Mar 6, 2015 - 3:48AM

@Kal: I do not know about Karachi but i have seen that in Lahore second third generations especially of the migrant origins integrate and identify themselves with the locals. This practice is great in my view. The tussle to identity your so called origins is prevalent in Karachi where an Urdu speaker do not want to call themselves a Sindhi and Sindhi most of the time do not accept them as locals.

In Punjab intermarriage is common and this end the difference of origins especially of 1947 migrant families. Only some families from UP regions still do not identify with locals. My sister is married to a person whose family came from UP. They would be supposedly called Urdu speakers in Karachi . But interestingly his Punjabi is better than the other people in my family. Recommend

• not too true
    Mar 6, 2015 - 8:08AM

@SKN:
    awesome reply!Recommend

• Mar 6, 2015 - 10:00AM

@Kal:
    I take my words back.Recommend

• Asif
    Mar 6, 2015 - 1:25PM

@ Chachoo. Those “Urdu Speaking” people are not inherently bad people as you imply. One reason their integration in Sindh has been less successful is because of their large concentrated presence in Karachi and Hyderabad – versus a smattering in Punjab. The attitude of always finding some fault with Karachiites is not dissimilar with what Punjab and then West Pakistanis did to Bengalis. The Bengalis were somehow not as good a people as the West Pakistanis, as the narrative went. Unfortunately, the outcome was sad and disastrous – but some folks in Punjab seem to still carry on that tradition. Recommend

• Chachoo
    Mar 6, 2015 - 3:26PM

@Asif: You did not understood my comment but rant about nothing and even try to bring another stupid debate of regionalism. Rather you tried hard to morph that statement for your own needs. Also i did not find any fault with anyone and neither i mentioned that but some people think that attention seeking and privilege is their inherent right. Recommend

• shaka
    Mar 6, 2015 - 3:55PM

@Asif:
    True. Our insistence of imposing Urdu upon Bengalis as a measure of forceful integration was the first nail in the coffin.Recommend

• kulwant singh
    Apr 3, 2015 - 7:05PM

Fawad Khan is having a charming personality and very good actor and I love him and his acting. Recommend

More in Film