Pakistani shortlisted for mankind's first one-way trip to Mars

Published: February 18, 2015
PHOTO: COMMUNITY.MARS-ONE.COM

PHOTO: COMMUNITY.MARS-ONE.COM

A Pakistani is among the 1,000 shortlisted for a trip to Mars from 200,000 hopefuls — who have been chosen to train for a one-way trip to Mars.

Sixty-year-old Reginald Foulds is among the 1,000 shortlisted from a pool of 200,000 people who applied for the one-way trip before the year started.

Foulds served as a helicopter pilot in the Pakistan Air Force before retiring in 1992 and moved to Canada with his wife at the age of 42, according to the Business Insider.

“I, like the Mars-One team, have a vision to leave a legacy for this world to remember for thousands of years to come. I am determined to do something literally out of this world and be one of the first human for the dawn of a new era – human life on Mars,” he said on his website.

“With my 22 years of military background as an infantry officer and a helicopter pilot, I am capable of surviving in any conditions. I have been trained to stand against any odds and in any conditions. I have learnt to be adaptable, determined, curious and courageous; I am very focused in what I get out to do. I am a very reliable and a trustworthy person,” he added.

Foulds further stated he has the curiousity to explore and has no fears.

“I have a will to go beyond the skies to seek and discover. To me there is no such word as impossible or I can’t,” he said.

The Mars One mission plans to launch the first humans to Mars starting in 2024.

The father of two said, “Both my children are very supportive to my endeavours towards the mission to Mars.”

Foulds currently works for the government as an Emergency Operations Officer, responsible for responding to any disaster on a bigger scale that may hit the province.

Earlier, a new study humans would likely begin dying within 68 days on their trip to Mars.

Oxygen levels would start to deplete after about two months and scientists said new technologies are required before humans can permanently settle on Mars, according to the study by researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).

The shortlist applicants will be whittled down to 24 for the mission — an irreversible move to Mars, which is to be partially funded by a reality television show about the Endeavour.

• cube
    Feb 18, 2015 - 2:37PM

Salute to you my maen! Super fun, exciting , thrilling journey ahead! Good luck to be selected!Recommend

• Stranger
    Feb 18, 2015 - 2:40PM

Err only one way trip to Mars ? So do they get to return back or ? Recommend

• Najeeb
    Feb 18, 2015 - 2:46PM

If he gets selected, he’ll be 70 by the time he flies there!Recommend

• faizan
    Feb 18, 2015 - 2:52PM

there are 100 shortlisted not 1000 .. make the correction !Recommend

• Ali
    Feb 18, 2015 - 3:02PM

So they will go to Mars and not come back? Recommend

• Feb 18, 2015 - 3:22PM

@Sunil:
    you cant tolerate us on this planet. imagine an entire separate planet full of people like us Recommend

• insurganceKhan
    Feb 18, 2015 - 3:44PM

@Sunil:
    if Muslims Find oil their i bet martians will also be labeled as terrorists in no time.
    I believe we need the same telescope that we need to see mars Just to see your brains
    but your mouth seems to be as big a mars itself,
    regards Recommend

• Aleem
    Feb 18, 2015 - 4:20PM

Everyone is asking about coming back from mars. there is a announcement for these ignorant people, that the selected 24 people with go to mars and start human life there, although it is a experiment that scientists are willing to do. by the end of 2015, 24 people will be selected. These 24 people will have 10 years of training to live and survive in extreme conditions. they will leave from earth on 2024 and land in mars after 254 days of travelling. Recommend

• Haris
    Feb 18, 2015 - 4:27PM

lol that is an excellent reply @insurganceKhanRecommend

• Urooj
    Feb 18, 2015 - 4:39PM

This is so exciting and too good to be true! Let’s hope for the best.Recommend

• Parvez
    Feb 18, 2015 - 4:53PM

Why only one shortlisted…..a ONE WAY TRIP to Mars should have at least all our MNA’s, MPA’s, Senators, on board.Recommend

• Saraan
    Feb 18, 2015 - 5:00PM

@Stranger: Really??? Really you really asked this question? ‘ONE WAY TRIP’ does not make it clear enough? It’s a suicide mission! I swear one of these days someone will have to rise up and say “No more single brain celled people are allowed to post their words on the web”. One of these days…..a man can hope.Recommend

• Suzuki Ltz.
    Feb 18, 2015 - 5:09PM

I want to go.Recommend

• Interstellar?
    Feb 18, 2015 - 5:42PM

Is it me or does this remind anyone else of interstellar?Recommend

• zahid naqvi
    Feb 18, 2015 - 5:45PM

@Saraan:
    If you can post with no brain cells at all, why cant Stranger post? At least he has one brain cell. Google search defines “trip” as “an act of going to a place and returning; a journey or excursion, especially for pleasure.” See, with just one brain cell, he is more intelligent than you.Recommend

• Rizwan Khan
    Feb 18, 2015 - 8:43PM

@Saraan:
    You are wrong to assume that it will end in failure. The effort is like any other – like explorers of old set out from Europe, Asia, Middle East to explore/ claim new lands. Yes, it is the Arabs who showed the West that the Earth is not flat and it is indeed possible to sail towards the horizon without falling off the edge of the world. The West used this knowledge of Arab trade routes to go as far as the Indonesian Islands and beyond. First trade flourished and then the new lands were colonized.

When those sailors (Christians/ Arabs) were going out, surely they were told by their peers that they were making a mistake and they would die and not come back – sea monsters will eat them or savages will eat them or storms would sink their ships etc etc. That didn’t stop them – there were accidents and countless lives were lost, but they found a way. Bigger better ships, navigational instruments helped them get farther, safely.

By the time Vasco da Gama rounded the Cape of Good Hope, Arab sailors were already masters of the Indian Ocean.

That tells you that when European sailors sailed around South Africa, sailing close to the continent all the way down from Europe, the arabs were already comfortable on the open ocean.

The astrolabe moved with Islam through North Africa into Spain (al-Andalus) where it was introduced to European culture

Now these sailors first built boats to catch fish, then bigger boats to move further out and then further on. Similarly land explorers moved out of their regions, climbed the hills near their homes, went further etc. But NOWHERE has that endeavor been stopped except now with “religious” justifications. I don’t know whether the earlier times were “daur-e-jahalia” or if we muslims are currently in one.

I don’t think you believe in “IQRA” my friend. Read before you put anything out.Recommend

• Asok
    Feb 18, 2015 - 10:14PM

I compared this gentleman with the three candidates short listed from India. I think he is definitely more qualified. Good luck!Recommend

• Yasin
    Feb 18, 2015 - 11:44PM

If the guy was an infantry soldier, as he stated, he wasn’t an Air Force Pilot then.. He was from Army Aviation. Make correctionRecommend

• Jawad U Rahman
    Feb 19, 2015 - 12:24AM

Can we nominate a few from Pakistan? ‘Maulana’ Abdul Aziz, Orya Maqbool Jan, ‘Dr’ Amir Liaquat, Ansar Abbasi, Gen Hameed Gul, Agha Waqar, Mumtaz Qadri… to name a few.Recommend

• Woody
    Feb 19, 2015 - 12:25AM

Reginald Foulds has lived in Canada for the past 18 years — not sure the term Pakistani really applies. Also – not sure the “non profit” has enough money to fund the cost of launching a spacecraft to Mars and by the time they acquire the funds and expertise this 60+ year old Canadian/Pakistani will likely be dead from old age. Recommend

• YesBut!
    Feb 19, 2015 - 5:35AM

@Parvez: After my congratulations to the Super Brave Pakistan Reginald Foulds, who may become the First Man Landed On Mars. I Reply to your wish bro! But sadly MARS’ ONE-WAY…Dead End trip is for the innovators, extremely hard working and committed-to-the-cause smart people…not a bunch of absent-from-office, corrupt and lying Circus Crowd.Recommend

• Feb 19, 2015 - 10:35AM

Reginald Foulds was Pakistani, now no longer. So, please stop calling him Pakistani and accept the fact that he is a Canadian. SalamsRecommend

• Moiz Omar
    Feb 21, 2015 - 7:24AM

I wish him good luck. Going to do something spectacularly amazing. Going to be one of the first 100 Humans to land on Mars. I wish I could go. Recommend

• Muhammad Ziad
    Mar 17, 2015 - 12:56AM

Well the whole thing was a scam , I hope tribune runs the story of the selected finalist who just blew the whistle.

I’m disappointed that it wasnt a Pakistani military man who came out with the truth. Recommend

• Demolition Woman
    May 18, 2015 - 9:15PM

@Ali: Probably doesn’t want to face the repercussions of that rather dubious fatwa issued by some cleric in one of the Middle East countries that traveling to Mars is in breach of the tenets of Islam !!Recommend