QUETTA: The Balochistan government has expressed serious concern over the influx of immigrants from Afghanistan, asking the authorities concerned to take steps to prevent this massive illegal immigration.
This comes following initial inquiry into a suicide attack on an Al Quds rally in Quetta. At least 73 people were killed and dozens more injured when a suicide bomber targeted the Al Quds rally at Mezan Chowk on November 3 followed by firing on the panicked participants.
“More than half of the victims of the suicide and gun attack were not Pakistanis. They even couldn’t speak Urdu,” a senior official at the Balochistan home department told The Express Tribune. “This shows people from Afghanistan and Uzbekistan are migrating to Quetta at an alarming scale without following the legal procedure,” he added.
“They are using unchartered and unmanned routes to enter Quetta. Some are using the Iranian route to enter Quetta.”
He said the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) and border guards had been asked to keep a check on illegal crossings from Afghanistan
Responding to a question, the official said local people were also involved in the influx of illegal immigrants from Afghanistan. “The Hazara community people who are migrating to other countries and cities are selling their lands to illegal immigrants and traders who are coming from Uzbekistan and Afghanistan,” he added. “Action will be taken against such people.”
A large number of Afghan refugees in Balochistan have got Pakistani national identity cards by bribing NADRA officials.
Published in The Express Tribune, November 23rd, 2010.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ