Model Town unrest: ‘Why no non-violence undertaking by Qadri?’

CCPO says three-fold security aims at avoiding any mishap.


Our Correspondent August 09, 2014

LAHORE: A Lahore High Court (LHC) judge remarked on Friday that it could order removal of all obstacles on the streets if Pakistan Awami Tehreek (PAT) leader Tahirul Qadri gave an undertaking not to disrupt peace.

The court also directed the capital city police officer (CCPO) to provide the revised security plan for the city.

Justice Khalid Mahmood Khan made the remarks on a petition filed by Advocate Hassan Awais.

Advocate Ahmed Awais, the petitioner’s counsel, said police had blocked the roads leading to Model Town.

The court summoned the inspector general (IGP) on a short notice for his reply.

The IGP told the judge police had placed containers on the streets for the security of the citizens.

The advocate general said police had put barriers in the streets in view of threat to Qadri’s life.

The CCPO submitted that the police had set up three-fold security to avoid any untoward incident.

Advocate Rafaqat Ali Kahloon, the counsel for PAT, said 14 people were shot dead on June 17 in an operation to remove barriers in front of Minhajul Qural International secretariat. He said the government itself had now placed similar barriers.

“Can the government not ask for an undertaking from Qadri not to disrupt peace?” the judge said.

“The court can order removal of all obstacles if Dr Qadri gives un undertaking promising not to disrupt peace.”

The court then put off hearing until Saturday (today).

Awais had submitted in the petition that the government was using the official machinery to stop, sabotage and discourage Yaum-i-Shuhada observance called by the PAT.

He said roads in and around Model Town and adjacent areas had been blocked using police vehicles, containers and barbed wires. He said this had been causing nuisance for the public. “The government is taking such actions to gain political advantage over the PAT. Blocking public roads is illegal.”

The lawyer requested the court to declare the barriers illegal and order their removal.

Published in The Express Tribune, August 9th,2014.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read