The bodies of two employees of a garment factory were found from the debris on Sunday.
A warehouse of the garment factory in the Landhi Industrial Area caught fire on Saturday.
The warehouse was situated on the third floor of the factory.
A number of workers – both male and female – were present at the factory at the time. Although many workers were able to evacuate from the building, two workers, including a watchman, 55-year-old Abdul Qayyum and 45-year-old Ashraf were caught in the debris. Their bodies were recovered in the early morning by firefighters during the cooling process. Firefighters managed to completely extinguish the blaze by 9am in the morning.
Speaking to The Express Tribune Quaidabad SHO Amanullah Marwat said that the watchman was crippled and could not escape from that area. As a result, he died of suffocation.
“The other man, Ashraf, who went to rescue him, died of suffocation,” he said. Neither of them sustained any burn injuries, the SHO added.
He said the fire broke out due to a short circuit. However, the police are waiting for the final report of the fire brigade before drawing any conclusions.
Published in The Express Tribune, July 28th, 2014.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ