Ronaldo keen to start anew after World Cup

Real Madrid striker declares himself ‘fit’ ahead of La Liga season.


Afp July 22, 2014

TOKYO: Putting a miserable World Cup behind him, Portugal superstar Cristiano Ronaldo declared himself fit to go as he chases trophies at Real Madrid.

“I’ll try my best all the season like I do it every year,” said the 29-year-old striker on Tuesday, adding he would like to play “six, seven more years” at the top level of club competition.

“I’ll try to be the best, try to help my team, try to score goals and try to win titles.”

Portugal failed to make the World Cup knockout round in Brazil with one win, one loss and one draw in their group as an injury-hit Ronaldo squandered plenty of chances and notched up just one goal.

He had been hampered by a left leg injury since just before the global tournament.

“I’m really focused. My injury is gone. I feel very, very good,” said Ronaldo, adding he wanted to kick off and finish the Spanish top-flight league season “in good shape.”

Without referring to his World Cup disaster in Brazil, the striker described last season as ‘amazing’. He listed several individual trophies while Real Madrid won a 10th Champions League title and the Copa del Rey, the oldest Spanish football competition.

Ronaldo was the top scorer in La Liga and the Champions League and won his second Ballon d’Or as well as the European Golden Shoe, among other honours.

Ronaldo added that he hoped for a repeat of last season’s glory, saying he will have an “opportunity to win five, six titles this year. I’m really focused”.

“I dedicate myself 100% to my game and I want to carry on like that until I finish my career.” AFP

Published in The Express Tribune, July 23rd,  2014.

Like Sports on Facebook, follow @ETribuneSports on Twitter to stay informed and join in the conversation.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read