Pakistan condemns attack on Indian consulate in Afghanistan

Afghan President Hamid Karzai condemns the attack, Modi thanks Karzai for his efforts to thwart it.


Tahir Khan May 23, 2014
Afghan military personal take position at the scene of an attack on the Indian consulate in Herat on May 23 ,2014. PHOTO: AFP

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan condemned the attack on Indian consulate in Afghanistan’s western city of Herat on Friday and reiterated its stance against terrorism in all forms and manifestations.

According to Indian officials, unidentified armed men attacked the Indian consulate from a house nearby. Clashes occurred between the attackers, and the Indian and Afghan security personnel.

Presidential spokesperson Aimal Faizi said that Afghan President Hamid Karzai condemned the attack. She further added that the attack will not have a negative impact on the Afghan-India ties but will instead strengthen them.

Afghan Deputy Interior Minister Gen Ayub Salangi told Tolo News that no Indian died in the attack. Spokesperson of Pakistan's foreign ministry said in a statement, "no cause justifies targeting of diplomatic missions. It is a relief that no one from the consulate staff was hurt."

Afghan journalist Mohammad Qazi Zadah, who was at the scene, told The Express Tribune that the assailants entered the nearby house at 3am and started firing. The Indian security men, guarding the consulate, responded to the attack and were later joined by the Afghan forces.

Indian embassy in Kabul and Indian External Affairs spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin confirmed the attack, adding that all diplomats were safe.

The Indian External Affairs spokesperson tweeted that four attackers had been killed and all the staff of the consulate was safe:



Akbaruddin also tweeted that Prime Minister-designate Narendra Modi has talked to Indian Ambassador Sinha in Afghanistan to bolster morale of all staff on India's missions working in Afghanistan.



He also tweeted that President Karzai and Modi have spoken about the attack via telephone and the PM-designate has thanked Karzai regarding the efforts made by Afghanistan to thwart the attack:





Afghan Interior Ministry spokesperson Siddique Siddiqi confirmed that the attack has ended. He said that at least four Afghan National Security Forces personnel were wounded in the attack.

Police in Herat told the media the attackers failed to enter the Indian consulate. No group has claimed responsibility for the attack till filing of this report.

Our Publications

Most Read

COMMENTS (51)

kk | 7 years ago | Reply

@miran gud people r now getting mature

B | 7 years ago | Reply

@Deam: Already forgotten what you have commented? Try reading them again.

VIEW MORE COMMENTS
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ