Discovering Waheed Murad’s inspirations

Published: November 1, 2010
Waheed Murad with Kavita in a scene from one of his films. PHOTO: WAHEEDMURAD.WEBS.COM

KARACHI: Iconic actor Waheed Murad was paid tribute to by students of Karachi’s Greenwich University at an event that explored the depth and philosophical thinking behind his productions.

Khurrum Ali Shafiq led the interactive multimedia presentation titled “Inside the Mind of Waheed Murad – Mystery Revealed”.

Waheed Murad took the film industry by storm and was dubbed the ‘Chocolate Hero’. His acting skills and charisma made him one of the most popular actors of the 1960s and 1970s. The star acted in 114 Urdu films, eight Punjabi films and two Pashto films.

Khurrum Ali Shafiq explains that his interest in Waheed Murad revealed a new side to the icon’s perspective on filmmaking.

While explaining Murad’s life, Shafiq said, “Waheed Murad’s father was in the film distribution business. Murad had a degree in English Literature from Karachi University, and from the facts I gathered he found true inspiration in the work of Ulysses by James Joyce. So much so that when he directed Ishara, which was released in 1969, he made sure it was based on the same symbolism and unity of imagination that was once given to the audience by Joyce’s novel.”

“Waheed Murad  was more than just a reader; he was a guide through great literary work trying to bring more than just a cinematic experience to screen and audiences alike,” said Shafiq.

In terms of symbolism, Shafiq said, “Like Iqbal who symbolised his son Javed in Javednama. Waheed Murad symbolised his daughter Aliya in the movie Ishara, to an extent that the female lead of the movie was even named Aliya. The release of the film coincides with the year (1969) his daughter Aliya was born.”

Shafiq shared a few clips from the movie for the audience to appreciate what an intriguing director Waheed Murad actually was.

Salma Murad, the star’s widow told The Express Tribune, “It is so hard to believe that it has been so many years since his death and still Waheed lives on in the heart and mind of many of his fans. I have only seen his fan following increase day by day. We thank God for bestowing him with such popularity, even when he isn’t alive. I would like to thank Khurrum Ali Shafiq for doing such extensive research on him, for telling everyone what exactly went on in Waheed’s mind. Waheed had a focus, a primary concern to change the way people think for the better; to open up the hearts and minds of our nation.”

The proceeds of the tribute will be donated to the flood victims and it was announced that part of it would be given to the legendary comedian Lehri, who is currently facing financial hardships and was a good friend of Murad’s.

Published in The Express Tribune, November 2nd, 2010.

Related Videos

• samina
    Nov 2, 2010 - 11:15AM

waheed murad was my favourite hero every boy use to copy his hair style and his way of dressing now adays boys dress up so shabbily i really miss the good old daysRecommend

• Riaz Khan
    Nov 2, 2010 - 11:53AM

Waheed Murad was one of the greatest actor produced by Pakistan! Recommend

• kk tiger
    Nov 2, 2010 - 1:43PM

Waheed Murad was certainly one of the best our film industry has produced thus far. His iconic persona will live for a long long time !Recommend

• Anonymous
    Nov 2, 2010 - 1:53PM

Waheed Murad is a real legend i call him the jewel of pakistan.The sad thing is that is is not among us now but he still remains alive in our hearts.Recommend

• ARahman
    Nov 2, 2010 - 2:08PM

My compliments for the write-up. It is well written and catalytic of fond memories of the star. The film industry has yet to produce a stylish, cultured and fine actor of the calber of Waheed Murad. He was, in a way, chronicler of the bygone age of innocense and romance. Recommend

• Rehan Mir
    Nov 2, 2010 - 2:10PM

waheed murad is indeed the most famous and successful actor of pakistan till now.Not only boys but even girls use to copy his hair style.I even heard a story from my elders that in thier street lived a girl such a die heart fan of waheed muraad that,to copy his hair style she use to glue her hair on her forehead.Recommend

• ARahman
    Nov 2, 2010 - 2:11PM

My compliments for the write-up. It is well written and catalytic of fond memories of the star. The film industry has yet to produce a stylish, cultured and fine actor of the calber of Waheed Murad. He was, in a way, a chronicler of the bygone age of innocense and romance. Recommend

• Akhter Ghulam
    Nov 2, 2010 - 7:15PM

Wahid Murad was a great performing artist of film and stage.He was highly qualified artist.He worked hard for glorious traditions of art ,culture and civilization of the motherland.He took keen interest in fine arts .He was torch bearer of human rights,democracy .He disliked cruelty and injustice in the society.He condemned cruel and corrupt mafia which has ruined the life of poor ,helpless and oppressed people of the society.He had studied English literature.He was M.A in English language and literature.He was a great artist of 20th century.He will be remembered for ever .Recommend

• Nov 2, 2010 - 7:28PM

I would like to thank Express Tribune for this wonderful coverage of my presentation. To the readers, I would like to point out one thing: the focus of my presentation as well as this write-up was/is that Waheed Murad is best known as an actor but he was also a writer, producer and director, and it is high time that we rediscover him as a writer. Ironically, I find that praising Waheed Murad as an actor remains the sole content of nearly all the comments here :).

That only shows us how much more important it is that we make a CONSCIOUS effort for bringing out that other aspect of this great genius: Waheed Murad, THE WRITER.Recommend

• Nov 2, 2010 - 7:54PM

After expressing my deepest appreciation for this wonderful write-up, which is so succinct and powerful, I wish to make a few corrections and/or additions: (a) Two other speakers who spoke on the occasion were Dr. Ahmad Safi and Dr. Nargis Azeemi, both of whom are my seniors from whom I have learnt much; (b) I did not say that Joyce’s novel gave unity of imagination to the audience but that it was Waheed Murad who used Joyce’s tool towards this end (but this part of my presentation was speeded up a bit and hence, if I failed to make myself clear, the responsibility lies entirely with me and not with the writer of this story); (c) I spell my surname as “Shafique”.Recommend

• Akhter Ghulam
    Nov 3, 2010 - 5:30AM

According to Derrida this is the text which is everlasting.Meanings are in context but context is boundless .He also insisted upon his theory that after the death of author it is the text,words and creative writings which remind us about the writer.I think so for we are not aware of the creative work (as a writer ) of Wahid Murad.His prose or poetry has not yet been available in libraries or on line.Researchers should look into the matter.His creative work in Urdu,English or Pakistani languages should be acknowledged.I request respected writer to kindly upload some masterpieces of this veteran for the study of students of literature.It can easily be done in Adab-e-Latif,LAhore ,al-Aqerba Islamabad,Deedah war Ali garh ,Hamari web and you tube etc.I appreciate this research article .We should not ignore our heroes of the past.Wahid Murad was a very kind hearted person .He spent his life for the welfare of humanity.He was a great patriot.His services for human rights ,democracy,national integrity,art ,culture and civilization can never be forgotten.I request ,kindly inform me about the publisher of his books and scripts of his creative writings.These are the words which keep the creative writer alive .Every body knows Mir Taqi Mir is immortal due to his creative work.I am sure Wahid Murad and his creative work will be soon available .This article is very useful in discovering the hidden aspects of a great personality of the past.Recommend

• Nov 3, 2010 - 11:15PM

Waheed Murad wrote the stories for at least 3 of the movies which were produced by him under his banner, Film Arts. In all he produced 11 films, one of which was also directed by him as well as written by him.

The first two of the films which he produced may be regarded as pilot projects, but the latter 9 films were definitely his “statements”. In these films, his role was that of an “auteur” (“author”) in the sense in which that term is used in film criticism theory.

These are the writings of Waheed Murad, as far as I know. The scripts of these movies unfortunately remain unpublished, just as most of the plays of Shakespeare had not been published until several years after his death.

It will be a great service to Urdu, as well as to literature in general, if these scripts were to get published. I have written an article about these nine statement films of his, “The Mystery Behind Waheed Murad”. It can be searched on the Internet.Recommend

• muzzammila shafique
    Nov 6, 2010 - 11:17AM

I appretiate and enjoyed both the article and the comments. As I was present in the event also I also felt that the scripts as well as the visuals should be available for the students of creative writing in the universities and libraries but it could be done only when we will start looking waheed murad as more than a chocolate hero. I am happy that after attending the event, I start thinking that it would not take a long time for such a possibility. If one person, khurram, could move the audience feel like that why not others? Recommend

• Nov 8, 2010 - 11:14AM

hmmm…I missed the session but I had an idea about the multi-talented Waheed Murad. Who not only ruled the hearts of Pakistan-is with his style and acting but also brought forward a point of unity between the masses and the educated elite of Pakistan.

It is intresting to know the facts behind the carefull selection or creation of every story of the films either made or directed by Waheed Murad.

Isn’t it briliant work to somehow created a story where the director or writer took the viewer to the point from just entertainment to a noble cause such as unity or faith or even discipline?

The stories…or the movies which give you sense of complete entertainment and amusement are always which contain a message for humanity or world and our these Directors/Writers and Actors knew it well.

I can imagine exactly how Shafique Sahib would have amuse the audiences with his discovries on Waheed Murad’s working which are the result of his extreme research and hard work.

I must say thanks to Shafique Sahib for his continous effort to bring the true shade of Waheed Murad on Pakistan movie viewers. And wish him good luck !Recommend

More in Life & Style