
An Iranian rebel group called Jaish al-Adl (Army of Justice) claimed responsibility for the February 6 kidnapping of the five men in Sistan-Baluchistan province, according to a Twitter account purporting to belong to the group. Its authenticity could not be immediately verified. The group also denied the border guards had been released. “There is no truth to the rumour in Pakistani media and some Iranian news websites about the freeing of Iranian soldiers held prisoner,” Jaish al-Adl tweeted on Saturday.
On Saturday, IRNA had said the Iranians were among 11 foreign hostages freed in an operation by FC. Balochistan FC said it had released three Africans abducted by drug traffickers on Saturday, but had not rescued the Iranians.
Angered by cross-border attacks by Jaish al-Adl, Iran said two weeks ago that it might pursue the rebels into Pakistani territory. Islamabad warned it against any such incursion. Iran accuses Pakistan and Saudi Arabia of supporting the rebels.
A Pakistani delegation was in Tehran on Sunday to discuss the fate of the missing border guards.
Published in The Express Tribune, March 3rd, 2014.
COMMENTS
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ