Abdul Sattar Edhi: Rallying for peace in Karachi

Published: February 26, 2014
An Express News screengrab showing Edhi.

An Express News screengrab showing Edhi.

KARACHI: Philanthropist Abdul Sattar Edhi on Wednesday took out a rally in Karachi to “spread his message of peace,” Express News reported.

Accompanied by Edhi Foundation workers and school children, the social worker – in his wheelchair – started the procession from Bolton Market. Speaking to Express News, Edhi said he intends to go to Mazar-e-Quaid and then return back to the starting point.

Commenting on the security situation in Pakistan, Edhi said the people are worried because of the deteriorating law and order situation and live under the threat of violence.

“I live in this country and I face the same problems as others; since people are my strength, I have come out to be with them,” Edhi said.

The social worker said that everyone should strive be a good human being and let others live their lives.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

• Raj - USA
    Feb 26, 2014 - 11:41AM

A great soul. I respect, love and adore him a lot. I have watched him in some video clips and it bring tears in my eyes.

• Crazy Canuck
    Feb 26, 2014 - 2:01PM

I would love to see our self righteous “leaders” come out of their ivory towers and do the same. They won’t, because they think their lives are way too precious. Recommend

• Jalbani Baloch
    Feb 26, 2014 - 3:44PM

First of all, let me appreciate Mr. Abdul Sattar Edhi for meritorious services for the benefit of destitute, poor and needy people of Pakistan. His services will be long remembered and paid for only by Almighty Allah on the day of judgment. Through this space, I simply would like to suggest that rallies of any kind may be avoided, which create hassle and trouble to the free movement of people, rather these peaceful rallies could be arranged at a selected spot, where the participants can come and demonstrate their views in the full media coverage and protection. This is my humble submission to Mr. Abdul Sattar Edhi and all political and religious parties of Karachi, and even other parts of the country, where, such places can be identified and reserved for public processions and demonstrations, with the prior consultation of all stakeholders.Recommend

• Abid P. Khan
    Feb 26, 2014 - 5:50PM

@Raj – USA:

May be your eyes get clouded with tears, so do of those hundreds of thousands if not millions of people around the world, for the same reason.
    If you go back a few years in time, Sattar Edhi abandoned all his social work and disappeared, finding a safe haven in England. His work invoked jealousy of sorts in some persons. He was approached by two great personalities of Pakiland a certain Hameed Gul and Tyrian’s unacknowledged father, to join hands with them in their political mission otherwise, his dead body would be be found dumped somewhere in the Tribal Area , he was told.

(If not taken down, a statement by Abdul Sattar Edhi describing this event was available at YouTube)
    You and Edhi are most likely threatened species, last of the breed. People with an opposite mission are on the rampage in the country.Recommend

• just_someone
    Feb 26, 2014 - 8:55PM

@Abid P. Khan:
    Thank you for your ignorance and your misunderstanding of everything.Recommend

• Imran Ahmed
    Feb 27, 2014 - 7:43PM

He is a national treasure.

-->