KARACHI: The funerals of the three Express News workers who were killed in the attack yesterday were held on Saturday, Express News reported.
Sindh Information Minister Sharjeel Memon announced Rs0.5 million as compensation to each of the victims' families.
Over 24 hours after the incident, police registered an FIR (No. 24/2014) under section 302 of the Pakistan Penal Code and section 7 of the Anti-terror Act on behalf of the state at the North Nazimabad Police Station. The FIR was registered against the four unidentified persons involved in the shooting.
Funeral of driver Mohammad Khalid, 25, was held at 10am today near his home in Dir Colony.
Khalid is survived by his wife and three children.
"My brother used to take care of me like a father," said Khalid's younger brother.
Funeral of guard Ashraf's funeral was held after Zuhr prayers at the Qayyumabad graveyard.
His father said that Ashraf died while performing his duty, adding that his son was a hardworking and honest man.
Ashraf got married only 3 months ago and had been working for Express Media Group for around a year, according to his co-workers. He was one of ten siblings.
The funeral prayers of technician Waqas Aziz Khan, 31, were held at Nishter Abad Eid Gah.
He was unmarried and the eldest of two siblings.
On January 17, gunmen riding on motorcycles had shot dead three Express News workers after ambushing a stationary Digital Satelite News gathering (DSNG) van in a busy neighbourhood of Karachi.
This was the third and most lethal strike on Express Media Group and its staff in the space of five months. In two previous attacks, the main offices of Express Media Group, were targeted.
All three victims of the attack were seated in the front of the van at the time of the attack.