Blocking NATO lorries: Fazl backs Imran’s call with strings attached

Wants K-P government to issue executive order.


Our Correspondent November 04, 2013
Wants K-P government to issue executive order. PHOTO: EXPRESS/FILE

ISLAMABAD:


In the turn of events both Jamaat-e-Islami (JI) and Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Fazl (JUI-F) have announced their support to Imran Khan’s call to block Nato supplies in Khyber-Pakhtunkwa (K-P), the latter with strings attached.


Demanding a fresh All Parties Conference, JUI-F chief Fazlur Rehman said, “JUI-F will move a resolution in K-P provincial assembly on Nato supplies but we will support the PTI government if it issues executive order in this regard.”

Fazl said that in the wake of drone attack that killed Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) chief Hakimullah Mehsud on Friday, a national strategy should be crafted.



The JUI-F chief said that the last APC adopted a national stance towards reconciliation and decided to hold talks with the Taliban.

“The drone attack has now changed the situation, which is why we need a new APC to review the situation. We were trying to get Pakistan out of crisis but the drone attack has increased instability,” said Fazl.

He said that Pakistan Tehreek-Insaaf’s ‘solo flight’ will damage national unity on drones and dialogue with Taliban as such party politics should not be based on point scoring.

He said that his party had earlier tried to move a resolution in K-P assembly on the drone issue linking it with blocking the Nato supplies but the PTI government had opposed it. He said his party’s support for the blockade would be conditional on PTI government issuing an executive order to stop the Nato supplies.

JI chief Munawar Hassan said his party too was with the PTI chief on the blockade of Nato supplies. “We are with Imran Khan but I think all allied parties should sit together and devise a long-term plan to forever stop the Nato supplies,” said the JI chief while speaking to journalists here on Sunday.

He stated that the premier’s announcement on not blocking the Nato supplies had ridiculed his own interior minister’s claim that the government was to review its relations with Washington.

Hassan said that Hakimullah was a martyr and he urged the Taliban to carry forward the talks with the government. “This is the only way to give a strong reply to the US and defeat its plans. The drone strike was in fact an attack on the table of talks,” he added.

Published in The Express Tribune, November 4th,2013.

______________________________________________________________

[poll id="1248"] 

COMMENTS (19)

Ajay | 7 years ago | Reply

@Sandip: very interesting !! Not a squeak from them has been heard, except as individuals in talk shows.

Ajay | 7 years ago | Reply

@whitesky: You should know Taliban have already declared them as 'enemies' colluding with America.

VIEW MORE COMMENTS
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read