Venture into new flavours with this recipe for delicious date rolls that will not only satiate sugar cravings but also give you the additional benefits of the Fruit of Heaven without the excessive calories. Addiction guaranteed!
• Mix the flour, sugar, salt, egg and butter in a large bowl and pour in the milk until the dough binds together.
• Cover the mixture with cling film and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes.
• Prepare the filling by pouring hot water over 2 cups of pitted dates. Allow them to remain in the water for 5 minutes before draining it and mashing the dates into a smooth paste.
• Roll the dough mixture into a thin layer and spread the date mixture over it evenly.
• Roll the dough up tightly, wipe the top with egg and bake until the dough is cooked and turns golden brown.
• Once cooked, retrieve the dish from the oven, allow it to cool and slice it into 1 inch pieces for serving. Your dessert is now ready!
Gulnaz Mondegarian is an expert in Iranian cuisine who has co-hosted Food Diaries alongside Zarnak Sidhwa to celebrate Community Food Week
Published in The Express Tribune, Ms T, October 27th, 2013.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ