Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) chief Imran Khan reiterated he did not commit any contempt of court, arguing that the word ‘shameful’ was neither abusive nor was used to refer to the court.
Imran’s prosecutor Hamid Khan submitted the 21-page reply to the apex court on Tuesday – a day before the second hearing of the contempt of court case against him is scheduled, that is today (August 28).
In his detailed reply, Imran Khan said he had great respect for the judiciary and he has struggled for its restoration. However he raised four questions related to the role and conduct of the apex court in the May 11 general elections.
“However it saddens the PTI, when National Judicial Policy Making Committee (NJPMC) in its meeting held on June 8, expressed satisfaction with the performance of returning officers (ROs) and district returning officers (DROs) during the election process,” the reply said.
He further said, “The Supreme Court also issued press release stating that not a single application worth consideration against DROs and ROs was received and that was indeed shocking to the PTI and its candidates.”
Imran said they felt their cases had already been prejudiced by the NJPMC. “A large number of the aggrieved candidates of PTI did not file election petitions because of disappointment arising out of such a press release,” he added.
“The unfair election process has resulted in the unfortunate exit of the chief election commissioner. It lends substance to the overwhelming perception that there was no cohesion within the ECP and the conduct of general elections was extremely flawed,” he continued.
“It is not unusual for the apex court to take suo moto notice of much less grave incidents of injustice where only individuals are concerned. But it was disappointing that this court did not feel it proper to take suo moto notice of such grave injustice where rights of the people of Pakistan have been trampled,” the reply stated.
Imran said the DROs, ROs, police, polling staff and the ECP were involved in the rigging in collusion with members of certain political parties.
“Our voters were misled on polling stations and ‘go slow policy’ adopted by presiding officers also created a mess,” the PTI chief stated.
“It was the ECP that has appointed retired district and sessions judges as Election Tribunal in violation of National Judicial Policy,” he said, reiterating his demand that Supreme Court should order verification of thumb impressions in four constituencies NA-110, NA-122, NA-125 and NA-154.
Published in The Express Tribune, August 28th, 2013.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ