ISLAMABAD: Pakistan has strongly condemns the suicide attack in Jalalabad on Saturday which killed at least nine people.
“We extend our heartfelt sympathies and condolences to the bereaved families,” a statement from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Saturday.
The statement added that the Pakistani consulate in Jalalabad is located near the Indian mission. It added that the consular staff and other Pakistanis were reported safe.
“Terrorism is the common enemy that countries in the region face. Collective endeavours would help effectively combat this scourge.”
Earlier on Saturday, a powerful blast occurred outside the Indian consulate in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad, killing 9 people and wounding 22, on Saturday.
“I have heard the explosion that was followed by small arms firing,” Enyat Saafi, a local journalist told The Express Tribune via phone from Jalalabad, the capital of Ningarhar province.
Afghan TV channels reported that the attack injured several people and ambulances were seen moving to the area to transfer the injured to hospitals.
“It seemed to be a powerful explosion as the sound was heard in areas away from the consulate,” the journalist said. He said the police are also not allowing the journalist to move to the area.
Witnesses said the attack occurred near 200 meters away from the Indian consulate.
A diplomat at the Indian Embassy in Kabul said that no Indian national was hurt in the attack.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ