There are two tricks to getting the best tempuras: one is to prepare a very light batter and the second is to fry at the proper temperature. Creating a temperature difference between the batter and the oil is what makes a really good, crispy tempura, which is not too greasy.
For the batter:
Prawns 10 with just the tail intact
1 cup oil for frying
1 egg (lightly beaten)
½ tsp salt and black pepper as seasoning
¼ cup flour to sprinkle on prawns
¼ tsp baking soda
1 cup iced water
For the dip:
½ cup vinegar
½ cup sugar
½ tbsp crushed chillies
1 tbsp cornflour, dissolved in water
2 cloves garlic (mashed)
¼ cup water
3 tbsp fish sauce
• Sift flour and soda in a bowl.
• Add egg and mix lightly with flour.
• Slowly add iced water and mix. Don’t make the batter into a smooth paste. Add more water if the batter is thick; it should be runny.
• You can also add ice cubes to the batter to lower the temperature or place the batter over a bowl of ice to ensure that the temperature doesn’t rise.
• Add oil in a pan and heat it to a medium-high temperature.
• Lightly sprinkle some flour over all the prawns.
• Take one prawn by its tail and dip it into the batter. Coat it well.
• Now place the batter coated prawns in the hot oil.
• Fry till both sides turn golden brown.
• Spoon them out on a paper towel.
Sweet Chilli Dip
I used to buy bottles of sweet chili sauce to serve with different snacks but this easy recipe makes a great dip.
• Add the ingredients except cornflour in a pan.
• Place the pan on medium heat and let it boil till the liquid reduces to almost half.
• Beware of an extremely pungent smell of vinegar and chilies.
• Once the liquid is reduced, add corn flour while mixing and thicken it to a dip consistency.
• Let it cool in the refrigerator and serve it with prawn tempura.
Madiha Hamid is a digital media professional. She runs a food blog for Pakistani and regional cuisines called cheflingtales.com.
Follow her on Twitter @cheflingtales
Published in The Express Tribune, Ms T, July 28th, 2013.
Like MsT on Facebook, follow @TribmagMsT on Twitter for your dose of girl talk.