SUKKUR: At least four people were killed and forty injured in five consecutive explosions that targeted the office of Inter-Services Intelligence in Barrage Colony, Sukkur on Wednesday evening, Express News reported.
Up to five gunmen were believed to have attacked the heavily guarded compound and detonated four bombs, said Masood Bangash, the deputy superintendent of police in Sukkur.
He said the local offices of the Inter-Services Intelligence, the Pakistani military's spy agency, seemed to be the main target.
Initial reports suggest that the first blast, which was reportedly the biggest, occurred when militants had an explosive-laden truck crash into one of the houses. The force of the explosion was felt throughout the area, and caused the houses to partially collapse.
The militants then attacked with hand grenades and small arms at the houses leading to successive explosions.
Assistant Superintendent of Police City said that 30 kilograms of explosives were used in the attacks.
The area also houses an Imam Bargah, the Commissioner House, lodges for High Court judges and the Rangers' headquarters.
"Two of the militants were suicide bombers," said DIG Sukkur Javed Odho.
He added that the security forces killed at least three suspected militants.
"Of those who were killed, only one was a civilian," said Odho. Two ranger's personnel were also killed.
"The subsequent blasts occurred as people were moving towards the site of the explosion after the first blast," reported Express News correspondent Sajjad Ali Shah.
Radio Pakistan claimed that one of the militants was arrested, though officials did not confirm this.
The roof of the houses in the area, including the DIG house collapsed due to the intensity of the blast.
The people who were trapped under the rubble were shifted to the hospital by rescue teams.
Heavy contingents of police and rangers reached the blast site, but they could not reach the DIG House immediately because of the repeated explosions.
Two of the deceased were identified as Ahsan Malik and am intelligence official Muhammad Azeez, who were shifted to the hospital.
@ShamaJunejo first blast was huge. My home windows shattered. It is heard throughout the city.— Shujaat (@alichacho) July 24, 2013
Prime Minister Mian Muhammad Nawaz Sharif strongly condemned the terror attack and directed the authorities concerned to provide the best medical treatment to the injured.
Security officials launch counter attack on militants
The militants had forced their way into one of the offices.
As a result, the security officials surrounded the area and carried out an operation.
Officials later revealed that at least the five suspected militants had been killed, three were shot dead, while two had carried out suicide bombings, a Rangers spokespersons said.
The local residents moved out of the area following the blasts.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ