Arthur demands $3.6 million in compensation

Sacked coach accuses Cricket Australia of racial discrimination.


Agencies July 16, 2013
Arthur’s allegations came just two days before Clarke and Watson go into battle together in the second Ashes Test at Lord’s. PHOTO: AFP

SYDNEY: Mickey Arthur is demanding $3.6 million in compensation or reinstatement as Australia’s cricket coach following his sacking last month, according to documents seen by the country’s Seven News TV station.

South African Arthur also claimed to have suffered racial discrimination and said that captain Michael Clarke had described fellow batsman Shane Watson’s influence on the team as ‘a cancer.’

Arthur was earning AUD400,000 Australian dollars a year and up to AUD200,000 in bonuses. He was contracted until June 2015 and wanted payment for three years beyond that, estimating his losses to be as much as AUD4 million.

“We’re disappointed that it’s come to this position,” Cricket Australia (CA) lawyer Dean Kino told Seven News. “But CA is confident in its position on this matter. And I’m sure it’ll get resolved in the appropriate fashion.”

The TV station said the documents reveal tension between Clarke and Watson, particularly regarding team discipline.

Arthur was sacked after David Warner punched England’s Joe Root in a bar, the latest in a series of disciplinary issues to dog the team.

He added that he felt discriminated against because he was South African and did not understand the ‘Australian way’.

Australia, now coached by Darren Lehmann, lost a thrilling first Ashes test against England by 14 runs and start the second at Lord’s tomorrow.

Warner ‘gutted’ by any role in coach’s axing

Warner has admitted he is devastated by the idea that his off-field behaviour may have played a part in the sacking of Arthur.

“It was probably another thing that was gutting, that I may have played a part in that,” said Warner.

Warner served a ban for the incident but without having played in any warm-up matches was left out of the Australia side which played the first Ashes Test and lost to England. He will now play with Australia A in Zimbabwe and South Africa to gain match practice.

“It’s massive to miss a Test. As a kid growing up, you want to play in the Ashes. I still feel the guilt of what happened. I feel myself it’s led to me being in this situation at the moment.”

Published in The Express Tribune, July 17th, 2013.

Like Sports on Facebook, follow @ETribuneSports on Twitter to stay informed and join in the conversation.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read